another winter, more MLS valve problems...

/ another winter, more MLS valve problems...
Hydraulic pressure is fine. The loader will lift enough gravel in the bucket to tip the tractor over forward.

I never did get it to work so I took it to a mechanic friend. He took the MLS apart and put it back together and it didn't work. We then called a Kioti dealer and they told us that they "guarantee" it's a bad MLS even if we can't see anything wrong. They told us to pick up 4 new MLS valves, install them one at a time until one of them works then return the rest. He said he replaces the MLS on "a large percentage" of the new units they sell while under warranty and that over 50% of the replacements don't work right out of the box either.

Then we took it apart again, put it back together again and it started working. for now. What I learned is if there is any way to get attachments that you can use without using your 3 point, do that. Protect and save your 3 point for when you really need it and so that maybe it will work on trade in day.

/ another winter, more MLS valve problems... #13  
I never did get it to work so I took it to a mechanic friend. He took the MLS apart and put it back together and it didn't work. We then called a Kioti dealer and they told us that they "guarantee" it's a bad MLS even if we can't see anything wrong. They told us to pick up 4 new MLS valves, install them one at a time until one of them works then return the rest. He said he replaces the MLS on "a large percentage" of the new units they sell while under warranty and that over 50% of the replacements don't work right out of the box either.

Then we took it apart again, put it back together again and it started working. for now. What I learned is if there is any way to get attachments that you can use without using your 3 point, do that. Protect and save your 3 point for when you really need it and so that maybe it will work on trade in day.

The Kioti dealer apparently told you to take MLS valves home, try them, find one that works and your problem is solved. Why didn't you try this or better yet, take in in for them to fix and then if it fails it's their problem to make it right.

It sounds as if your going to trade the tractor and if that is the case you may lose a substantial amount of money.

I own the same tractor, same year and have no problems whatsoever with the three point hitch lifting abilities. I can adjust the rate of descent at any time depending on the weight of the impliment and on a regular basis lift a ballast weighing 1000 lbs. This is a good tractor, get yours fixed and save a bundle in the long run by not trading.

Just my thoughts!

Fred

I may be stuck with the tractor for awhile. I was going to trade it for a new Kubota skid loader until I found out how much the skid loader is worth.:shocked: I have a house that's worth less than that!

I talked to a few different kioti dealers and one bobcat dealer and they all told me that sometimes the MLS valves just fail. Even though they have low hours on them they just fail. They said I need to buy a few new ones and try them until I find one that works. I am not going with that theory. A MLS valve is a little mechanical device. It can't just simply go from working to failing in the blink of an eye unless something is broke or stuck.

So I took the MLS valve apart again and started probing every port in the body. To find them I looked at all of the machined holes that are plugged with steel balls in the outside of the body to see where that hole would have been drilled and why. They all made sense but one. There was one spot that I couldn't spot a hole behind a ball plugged machine hole. Certainly kioti wouldn't drill a hole just for the sake of plugging it later so I looked deeper. There is one hole that goes from a valve bore into the center of the MLS body, underneath the center allen screw that holds the end cap on. This hole is so small that the only thing I could fit in it is one strand of copper wire from a 10 gauge copper wire. The wire wouldn't go through that hole. I cleaned the hole out and it is fixed.

Here is the problem with this hole and my theory on why I'm being told to buy MLS valves until you get lucky enough to find one that works. That hole is a drilled and tapped hole that an allen screw goes into to hold the end plate on that holds the valves in. The bottom of the allen screw goes right to the very edge of the tiny oil hole and also plugs the hole on the top. The allen screws have locktite on them. When the screws are put in the hole at the factory little bits of locktite get into the oil hole and plug it up. That's what was in mine and the piece that it takes to plug the hole is so small you can barely see it. I cleaned it up and put it back together without locktite.

One of three things should happen on these valves. Drill the oil relief hole out to a larger size, or don't use locktite, or use a shorter allen screw. Or just drill the hole larger and use a shorter screw would probably do it too. This is just simply a bad design.

I posted my findings for those of you who look this topic up doing a search in the future.

Also, I edited this post to add the following:
Of all the dealers I spoke with what I found is that most of them were not knowledgable, didn't want anything to do with a bobcat tractor, or were very condescending with an underlying tone of "bring it in here, don't call me asking questions". I said most of them because I spoke with the fine people at MICHIGAN IRON AND EQUIPMENT and got some help that I needed. The people at Michigan Iron are very kind, knowledgable, great web site, prices are good, and they just seem like they want to help, even if it's just a matter of talking through a problem. All of my parts, filters, and now a joystick operated loader mounted hydraulic remote are going to come from them from here on out. Check them out. You can find their link right here on this site.

/ another winter, more MLS valve problems... #16  
Thanks for the update! Always good to hear about a reliable dealer.

/ another winter, more MLS valve problems... #17  
Here is the problem with this hole and my theory on why I'm being told to buy MLS valves until you get lucky enough to find one that works. That hole is a drilled and tapped hole that an allen screw goes into to hold the end plate on that holds the valves in. The bottom of the allen screw goes right to the very edge of the tiny oil hole and also plugs the hole on the top. The allen screws have locktite on them. When the screws are put in the hole at the factory little bits of locktite get into the oil hole and plug it up. That's what was in mine and the piece that it takes to plug the hole is so small you can barely see it. I cleaned it up and put it back together without locktite.

Sounds like you found the root cause.

I am not a big fan of Locktite myself. And on hydraulic components? Hmmmm.