Anti erosion plant

/ Anti erosion plant #21  
What do you mean it "was found to be invasive"?

Crown Vetch is a non-native plant that was introduced to North America and used for erosion control. What I mean is that after Crown Vetch was used as a ground cover for several years, the plant was found to have a negative impact on native plant species, crowding them out and eliminating them from the area.

Member bcp provided some good information.

The text below is from the USDA Forest Service. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/invasive_plants/weeds/crown-vetch.pdf

Distribution: This species is reported from states shaded on Plants Database map. It is reported invasive in CT, IN, KY, MD, MI, MO, NC, NJ, OR, TN, VA, and WI.

Ecological Impacts: Crown vetch is a serious management threat to natural areas due to its seeding ability and rapid vegetative spreading by rhizomes. This aggressive exotic is now widespread along roadsides and natural areas. It becomes problematic when it invades into natural areas, such as grassland prairies and dunes, where it works to exclude native vegetation by fully covering and shading native plants. It can climb over small trees and shrubs, and eventually form large single-species stands.

/ Anti erosion plant #22  
Thanks for the help. This bank is lined by a hay field on the upper side and the barn below. I agree that the wrong ground cover can be nasty, i want to take my time on this and make sure whatever i put in won't cause any headaches later.
Crown vetch can be toxic to horses, if consumed in large quantities. Not sure what happens if they consume just a little though.

/ Anti erosion plant #23  
On the steep bank along my garage, I planted myrtle, AKA periwinkle, AKA vinca minor. It has worked well, spreads fairly quickly, doesn't grow very tall (6" - 8"), and looks nice all year round. It was growing wild on my property, so it was free to transplant, and I was certain it would survive.

/ Anti erosion plant #24  
On the steep bank along my garage, I planted myrtle, AKA periwinkle, AKA vinca minor. It has worked well, spreads fairly quickly, doesn't grow very tall (6" - 8"), and looks nice all year round. It was growing wild on my property, so it was free to transplant, and I was certain it would survive.

Periwinkle is good if it doesn't freeze out. Your getting it as a native species says it has adapted to your climate. I was going to suggest asiatic jasmine until I realized the OP is in zone 5-6 and asiatic jasmine really only grows well in zones 7-9. It's a common ground cover here in Texas, but does not like sub-zero F temps.

/ Anti erosion plant #25  
The New Hampshire department of transportation , which I have worked for more years then I care to think about uses crown vetch on slopes 2:1 or steeper. It works well, doesn't invade beyond where it is planted, can take New England winters ,-40F. and withstand being mowed from time to time but doesn't need it to survive. When planting it the seed needs to be inoculated with beneficial bacteria to promote germination. This comes in a packet with the seed. Follow instructions, not rocket science.
The crown vetch is for the final slopes to be left in place indefinitely. For quicker effects and temporary measures rye grass and hay mulch are applied as soon as possible after final grade is reached during the growing season. Outside the season rolled matting is used.

/ Anti erosion plant #26  
Periwinkle is good if it doesn't freeze out. Your getting it as a native species says it has adapted to your climate. I was going to suggest asiatic jasmine until I realized the OP is in zone 5-6 and asiatic jasmine really only grows well in zones 7-9. It's a common ground cover here in Texas, but does not like sub-zero F temps.

Most maps show the area where I have the myrtle planted as 3 or 4 (Adirondack Mts.) I just made a hole with a big screwdriver about every square foot and heeled in sprigs. No die off, an area about 10' X 30' is fully covered. Very few weeds come up in it.