Security & Theft Anti theft

/ Anti theft #1  

Adam33

Tractor
Ford 4600
Need some direction/ideas on how best to secure a tractor against theft. The tractor is a Ford 4600

Thanks

/ Anti theft #2  
This has been gone over in other forums.

Bottom sad line is that there are many things you can do to make it more difficult for people to vandalize or steal your tractor, and there are many things you can do to keep 'honest' people from stealing your tractor.. but when it comes down to brass tacks... without you setting on it with a shot gun, there is no 'catch-all' method to 100% prevent theft.

The usualy logic applies.. chains and cables to imobilize the tractor to say.. a tree trunk.. etc.. remove battery or key.. etc.

Problem with those is that many tractors use standard ignition.. and even if they don't.. a 3" strip of wire is virtually a 'spare' key for most tractors.

Also.. bolt cutters make short work of all but the hardest / biggest chain. Portable ( battery/air/gas) die grinders with an abrasive wheel can cut thru pretty much anything in about 10 minutes or less.. lets not forget the tools for the real determoned thief... the gas axe .. aka smoke wrench..aka blue wrench..aka hot wrench..

Some people remove front wheels.. rear wheels.. etc. Sure.. those work assuming the guy doesn't have a rollback trailer and some lumber to prop it up on.

Out of site out of mind is a great deterent.. Some mebers rent/purchase those roll off cargo / shipping/storage containers to leave on vacant property.. those seem to help quite a bit.

A good insurance policy wouldn't hurt.. or even being able to park it at a neighbors house.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Anti theft #3  
Know that 95% of the time the people that steal from you are friends, family or friends of friends and family. Not that this helps, just thought I would bring it up.
I leave my house unlocked at all times & keys in the truck.
If someone want's to take something of mine, theres not much I can do. Locks only keep out the honest ones, any lowlife crackhead that sets their eye on your property will do whatever it takes to deprive you of it.
I suggest an alternate battery cut off. They sell "switch over" selectors for turning on and off batteries in marine applications, this may deter the "more honest" theif who will only steal something you've made too easy to pass up.
Good Luck.