Antifreeze degradation

/ Antifreeze degradation #1  

lilranch2001

Tractor
Bobcat CT 235
I know antifreeze goes bad in a cooling system, do I know all there is to know, absolutely NO.
But I am getting ready to do a change on my bobcat CT 235, and have most of a jug (50-50) premix left from 4 years ago.

Does antifreeze break down in the jug or does it need to be in contact with the metal parts of the system to initiate degradation?

I am not afraid to show my ignorance on this matter, and I am sure some of you guys out there know the answer.

/ Antifreeze degradation #2  
would you trust an opened but protected container of your favorite motor oil for the same shelf time?
if it "degraded" in time, wouldn't the manu. put an expiration date on the product, like foods?
were i your neighbor, be glad to take off your hands :)

Last edited:
   / Antifreeze degradation #3  
it degrades in metal contact, I don't remember the level but you can measure the PH level of the coolant to tell if it is bad or not (I imagine it's supposed to be close to 7).

I'm with above, if it's known new and in a jug I'll use it...

/ Antifreeze degradation #4  
This is a good subject for a thread. I am all ears. :thumbsup:

/ Antifreeze degradation #5  
I would like to know also. I've thrown out opened, tightly capped, full strength that was a year old. Unless I have hard, cold facts - it just isn't worth it.

/ Antifreeze degradation #6  
Most interesting. I just Googled - automotive antifreeze - lifespan. Lots of good info. Basically - an unopened jug has an infinite life span. The new extended life non- silica antifreezes will have a life span of, at least, eight years if tightly capped after opening.

/ Antifreeze degradation #7  
I would like to know also. I've thrown out opened, tightly capped, full strength that was a year old. Unless I have hard, cold facts - it just isn't worth it.

OK. Here's a hard, cold fact about that full strength antifreeze you threw out:
If it's full strength glycol type antifreeze - either ethylene glycol or propylene glycol - the full strength antifreeze you can still buy today doesn't do much to protect against cold weather. It needs to be mixed with water to lower the freeze point.
rScotty

Attachments

• ethylene-propylene-glycol-protection-comparison-chart.jpg
    ethylene-propylene-glycol-protection-comparison-chart.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 89
   / Antifreeze degradation #8  
Yes - I know rScotty. I was just differentiating between the premix and the unmixed stuff. With the info I just found - I won't be chucking antifreeze any longer.

/ Antifreeze degradation #9  
If you're going to do a change-out. Consider going to ELC … Extended Life Coolant. (Not the GM Dex-cool) Do an internet search yourself on Caterpillar ELC. The Chemistry has advanced in the last few years.

If I were doing a change, I would go ELC on my diesel equipment.

/ Antifreeze degradation #10  
Yes - I know rScotty. I was just differentiating between the premix and the unmixed stuff. With the info I just found - I won't be chucking antifreeze any longer.

Right. No need to chuck unused antifreeze in plastic sealed container. It is very stable & only degrades slowly & when in the presence of metals. Even In a cooling system it ought to be good for a long time.

One point of reference complete with testing: I just had the Ford coolant in the old F250 checked the other month. That is an engine known to be picky about coolant chemistry because of high temps and all the dissimilar metals Ford used.
After 17 years the original OEM coolant tests fine. No additive pkg. needed.

The old JD tractor (non turbo gas engine) gets basic ethylene glycol & changed every 30 years or so.....
The newer JD & Kubota with their turbocharged diesels get OEM coolant hopefully changed every 10+ years. That is, I start thinking about changing it evey 10 years.
rScotty