Antifreeze- is any type OK?

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #101  
Thanks FSE, i had a feeling that would be your response.:thumbsup:

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #102  
   / Antifreeze- is any type OK? #103  
Thanks Gary (FSE) you have been very helpfull.

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #104  
I have a x575 JD and a x738 JD one has GREEN antifreeze the other has YELLOW antifreeze
I think I'm going to tractor Supply or maybe call the JD Dealer

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #105  
The extended life coolants (ELCs) aren't that much more money than the old green stuff, and they work better and last longer.

For my last round on my 3930 and 7.3, I went with Delo ELC, from my local International dealer. You don't need to add SCA either.

Diesel Coolant, Delo Prediluted & Extended Life Antifreeze - Delo - (Canada)

For gas motors, I tend to use Prestone Long Life.... it's rated for something like 250k km and 5 years.

Getting things like silicates out of the newer ELCs tends to be easier on water pump seals.

Rgds, D.

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #106  
Ditto. ELC coolants are great in diesels. All commercial heavy diesels are factory filled nowadays with the stuff. it has been shown to prevent wet sleeve liner cavitation far better than traditional coolants. No need to test and add SCA's. In commercial semi trucks, it is good for 600,000 miles, with just a quart or two of extender added at 300,000 miles. You have less coolant related deposits also. I have only been using ELC in all my diesels for the last 10 years. Even the 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel. It is wet sleeved, and I didn't trust the traditional Mopar junk that it was factory filled with.

Now that being said, coolants should be tested periodically. I get test strips made by Penray. It is easy to check the condition of the coolant for both protection characteristics and freeze point concentration. These strips work on traditional coolants and ELC varieties. I test at each oil change on my semi, twice a year in my other stuff.

Amazon.com: The Penray Companies - Power Fleet TS200, Heavy Duty 3-Way Universal Test Strips: Automotive

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #107  
Be careful of 2EH (2-ethylhexanoic acid) in some antifreeze it can damage seals and hoses .

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #108  
I know old post right.
I have a farm pro 2425 pre epa, I am having overheating problems
that I never had before.
So I need to flush and then add WHAT kind of coolant?
Can I add green colored Havoline low silicate coolant like I bought, or won't this work in this engine? I wish I would have never read this, I was ready for the deed & less confused then LOL.

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #109  
OP: just curious. why did you add distilled water to the 50/50 mix?

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #110  
I know old post right.
I have a farm pro 2425 pre epa, I am having overheating problems
that I never had before.
So I need to flush and then add WHAT kind of coolant?
Can I add green colored Havoline low silicate coolant like I bought, or won't this work in this engine? I wish I would have never read this, I was ready for the deed & less confused then LOL.
Saying Yes would be a bit like telling somebody to go eat Green food....... probably not fatal, but perhaps not the optimal solution. :cool:

Colour is what sticks in people's mind, but that is tough to make a call on...... older Green coolant required SCA/DCA additive, and fairly frequent changes (on time limit, which few people bothered to do).

OTOH, if your present coolant is original/sludge, then just about anything will be an improvement.

I'd be tempted to diagnose (only !) with just distilled water, until I had the cause of the overheating nailed down. I say only diagnose, because just-water gives you zero corrosion protection, including to cavitation.

If you can't get a hold of the manufacturer's manual for your tractor, post in the relevant forum on here what engine you have in it - somebody will likely have a listing that will be close enough for coolant spec.

For instance, a CAT engine may have a specific spec that some modern coolants won't meet..... but, all that said...... if I was in a hurry and/or couldn't come up with spec info for the tractor/engine, then on a pre-EPA diesel, I'd just pick whatever modern ELC diesel coolant that was handy and use that.

If I take the time to do the job, I don't want to have to test for SCA needs in the future, and I don't want to change it again in 2 years. But, that's just my preference, YMMV.....

Rgds, D.

Last edited: