Antifreeze- is any type OK?

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #21  
3RRL: I think your tractor needs Immodium :)

My Massey 2310 manual recommends changing the regular green antifreeze yearly. It's actually hard to find regular green stuff around here, everyone sells the yellow long life product or orange Dex-Cool rated AF/C.

If heavy duty diesel rated antifreeze has the anticavitation package for wet sleeve engines, is there any harm in using it when regular green antifreeze is called for? Wasting a little extra money is a moot point at the price of the machine. Heavy duty antifreeze is more available here. Isn't this heavy duty stuff purple? Can I use this safely on my 2310?

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #22  
is there any harm in using it when regular green antifreeze is called for?

I sure hope not since I used it in my Kubota that only called for "permanent" antifreeze.;) I think the Fleet Guard from TSC cost about a dollar a gallon more than the regular old green stuff.

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #23  
Money well spent to save running around. Thanks!

I love Asian instruction manuals. Not like I can speak any oriental language mind you, but I frequently think of the phrase: "I speaka da fife languages and Englishe isa da best." :)

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #24  
Just remember to flush ou the entire system prior to changing fluid types. My fiance put regular gas station green into her new Beetle and I speak a long weekend cleaning and flushing snot out of it. Yuck !

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #25  
jayhaitch said:
3RRL: I think your tractor needs Immodium :)

My Massey 2310 manual recommends changing the regular green antifreeze yearly. It's actually hard to find regular green stuff around here, everyone sells the yellow long life product or orange Dex-Cool rated AF/C.

If heavy duty diesel rated antifreeze has the anticavitation package for wet sleeve engines, is there any harm in using it when regular green antifreeze is called for? Wasting a little extra money is a moot point at the price of the machine. Heavy duty antifreeze is more available here. Isn't this heavy duty stuff purple? Can I use this safely on my 2310?

I don't recommend using Dex-Cool in a diesel (just bad personal experience). The purple stuff you saw was probably extended life coolant. Regular diesel antifreeze looks just like regular automotive antifreeze, green.

Test your cooling system with a DCA/SCA test strip and bring the additive level up using additive that can be purchased at any heavy truck dealer or NAPA store. NAPA's additive is called NAPA-COOL.

I could write a couple pages about cylinder cavitation but since it's been done on the web before I'll just post a link to a site that has a excellent description of what cylinder cavitation (liner pitting) is and how to prevent it.
Cavitation Article

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #26  
Great link, I had never known of this. Very good explanation.

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #27  
If I use a pre-charged heavy duty diesel type coolant, I won't have to add SCA. Would this let me get more than 1 year out of coolant? It seems surprisingly frequent to have Massey recommend annual coolant changes.

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #28  
Keep testing the SG of the coolant, and use the DCA/SAC strips to make sure that is up... that or just bite the bullet and keep it changed every so often.

soundguy

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #29  
toyota red --

-- that's all i put in anything --

-- that and distilled water.

safe as milk.

/ Antifreeze- is any type OK? #30  
Is the Toyota coolant rated for diesel engines? Just because it's extended life antifreeze doesn't mean it has the required additive package to prevent cylinder cavitation. Just like conventional antifreeze there are two types of extended life antifreeze. Regular for use in non diesel applications and what is usually called heavy duty for diesel engines.