Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #11  
depends on your water, I would run it for a year if it was mine. As mentioned it probably would be fine for a long time.
Ron

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #12  
I just always use a 50/50 mix right out of the jug. Solves the problem.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #13  
I'd also run it and change it back to distilled water next time. No sense wasting the new antifreeze you just put in. Distilled water is pure where Tap water has other minerals and contaminants that may not be good for longevity of certain metals.

Tap Water Purity

The University of Illinois department of physics says that the difference between distilled water and tap water is that tap water does not go through the same purification process as distilled water. Tap water, which is not highly purified, can contain trace amounts of substances like salts, nitrates, chloramines, fluoride, and microorganisms, as long as the amounts meet EPA regulations.

Distilled Water Purity

Distilled water comes from recondensed steam. The purification process includes boiling water and collecting water vapors that return to its liquid state. This process causes impurities to separate for the distilled water, leaving water in its purest form.

Read more : What Is the Difference Between Distilled Water & Tap Water? | eHow

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #14  
...BTW our water is very limey and full of chemicals...more than other locals....

This tells me all I need to know. I would drain it, fill with distilled, drain again, and fill with the 50-50 mixture with antifreeze.

Be sure to get a diesel-rated antifreeze. Some types can cause cavitation which will destroy an engine in just a few hours.

The cost of this is very low compared to the cost of repair if things go really wrong...

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #15  
Regular water contains minerals that overtime can cause the radiator passages to fill up or get clogged with a gel or wax like substances.

To flush or clean your radiator and get rid from it, use CALGON a household detergent, or any other detergent that is NON-Phosphate.

When the engine has cooled, drain all coolant, fill with mixture of CALGON and water.

Run engine until it reach operating temp, then run for additional 5 min at that temp.

Wait for engine to cool down, and drain coolant.

Best Coolant is Chevron or Texaco ELC (Extra Long Coolant Life).

Only buy Concentrate, then mix with DISTILLED water only, per manufacturer instructions, based on the climate zone you live in.

In most southern Florida, 40% coolant and 60% water is best for maximum cooling efficiency.

Regular water will cause the engine block to rust with the minerals that's in it.

P.S. Remember, what are completely acceptable for some, are condemned by others. Some folks have NASA standards in operating, caring and maintaining there equipment.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #16  
Why not use straight antifreeze ?

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #17  
Straight antifreeze boils over easy.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #18  
Id use the distilled water if I could obtain it easy, around me, grocery stores seldom carry it. I do not know of anywhere else to get it.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #19  
Straight anti-freeze has a much higher freeze point than a 50/50 solution. Google it and see for yourself the difference in freeze temps for various % of water mixes.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #20  

Lowest freeze point is with 50/50 mixture of water and anti-freeze. Pure antifreeze freezes at a much higher temperature than the 50% solution and should never be used in pure state.
Google it and see for your self what the ratios equal to freeze temps.