Antifreeze type?

/ Antifreeze type? #1  

Desert Moose

Tractor
Kioti CK25HST
Well, I now have a grand total of 10 hours on the new CK25. Checking it over, I noticed the coolant tank is low enough that I want to add some. Checking the owners manual reveals that I should add "Permanent type" antifreeze.

OK, what do they mean by Permanent type antifreeze? Regular greenish yellow Prestone, or the new orange stuff?

As an aside, does it hurt anything if you mix the different types of antifreeze?

Thanks, Sam

/ Antifreeze type? #2  
What color is in it now? If they are calling for a "Permanent type" antifreeze it sounds like extended life. Do not mix the old green (ethelene glycol) with red, purple, blue, yellow, orange or pink extended life (propolene glycol), they are not compatible.

/ Antifreeze type?
Looking in the mostly empty tank in the shade, I couldn't tell the color. That's why I was asking. I'll have to suction some out and look at it in the sunlight to tell, I guess.

The newer type is propylene glycol instead of the old ethylene glycol, huh? Was the change made due to the toxicity of the ethylene glycol?

Thanks, Sam

/ Antifreeze type? #4  
By serial number, my CK30 is a 2004 even though I bought in in April of 2005. It uses the greenish/yellow antifreeze and not the extended life. Their use of the word permanent does throw question into the type. As mentioned, just don't mix the types.

/ Antifreeze type? #5  
Regular stuff

BTI

/ Antifreeze type? #6  
Hi,
The green stuff is what comes in the tractor. Any automotive store will have what you need (prestone, NAPA Carquest they all have it in their own packaging)
The orange stuff is a non-toxic version.
KiotiDave

/ Antifreeze type? #7  
My CK30 has the green stuff in it.

/ Antifreeze type? #8  
I don't know why some manufacturers continue to use the word "permanent". i think that was coined when ethylene glycol came on way back in the day (1940's?) as opposed to using alcohol in cooling systems like they used to. I think what they are saying is don't use alcohol.
Prestone 'for all makes and models' is what we use in our auto shop.
The 50/50 pre mix comes with the proper amount of distilled water which is also an anti corrosion benefit.