Antique drive chain on my grain drill

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #11  
I took a 3"x3"x 1/4" thick piece of steel weld stock and cut a narrow 1.25" long slot using my 4-1/4" angle grinder with a cutting blade. C-clamp this little tool to the frame of the grain drill with the slot vertical, slip on of the links into the slot. Angle the adjacent link at 45-deg so the sides of that link line up with the gap in the end of the link in the slot (C in the figure above) and hit that angled link with a ball-peen hammer a few whacks. No problem--the links separate slick as hog poop.

Great idea! :thumbsup:

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #12  
they make and sell chain detacher told for around $25.00, but ive always just used a hammer. they tend to come apart pretty easy.

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #13  
I took a 3"x3"x 1/4" thick piece of steel weld stock and cut a narrow 1.25" long slot using my 4-1/4" angle grinder with a cutting blade. C-clamp this little tool to the frame of the grain drill with the slot vertical, slip on of the links into the slot. Angle the adjacent link at 45-deg so the sides of that link line up with the gap in the end of the link in the slot (C in the figure above) and hit that angled link with a ball-peen hammer a few whacks. No problem--the links separate slick as hog poop.

need pictures......need input :laughing: :laughing:

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill
need pictures......need input :laughing: :laughing:

Here they are

IMG_0335 (Small).JPGIMG_0336 (Small).JPG

As I said, there's not much too it.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #16  
Good thread here, and the subject title is such that the search engine should do well for those in the future looking to find this information.

And that homemade tool flusher made is a great idea (thanks also to the grinder tool that helps make that slot :) ).

I usually hear it referred to as "square link chain" which if I recall doesn't do well in a google search.

It turns out that sprockets for the #25 steel detachable chain on my grain drill, which is the smallest size of that type of chain, are rare as hen's teeth. You can find suppliers that sell sprockets for the larger sizes of SDC but not #25.

A local weld shop will fabricate these sprockets--at $75 a pop for a ~3" dia 10-tooth spocket (pitch 0.903" which is #25 size). Pretty pricy.

Anyone out there know where I can get a pair of these sprockets, new or used? I'm trying to avoid the hassle of removing the pair I have from the axles of the grain drill--those old sprockets are guaranteed to be rusted tight to the axle shafts.

TIA

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #18  
It turns out that sprockets for the #25 steel detachable chain on my grain drill, which is the smallest size of that type of chain, are rare as hen's teeth. You can find suppliers that sell sprockets for the larger sizes of SDC but not #25.

A local weld shop will fabricate these sprockets--at $75 a pop for a ~3" dia 10-tooth spocket (pitch 0.903" which is #25 size). Pretty pricy.

Anyone out there know where I can get a pair of these sprockets, new or used? I'm trying to avoid the hassle of removing the pair I have from the axles of the grain drill--those old sprockets are guaranteed to be rusted tight to the axle shafts.

TIA

well on page 136 of the Shoup catalog lists #25 steel detachable chain, 10' length = $24.30

Shoup Manufacturing Company

if this is what your looking for

Thanks. I found the #25 chain suppliers. I need to find sprockets that fit this chain.

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #20  
sorry, didnt catch the SPROCKET part of that..... most sprocket parts i see are numbered according to the impliment... not the sprocket chain size. that will be a hard one to find.