Antique Implements?

/ Antique Implements? #11  
Harv, I have a spike tooth harrow exactly like that. I use it to seed native grass seed in the fall. I first run over the ground with the teeth set down and aggressive, then I will seed the area. I finish up by dragging the harrow with the teeth retracted. This does a good job of lightly covering the seed.

/ Antique Implements? #12  
Harv

I have used the spike tooth harrow like you have pictured to seed a pasture as have some others who have answered this post, I would add that in my instance I dragged a heavy timber behind the harrow via a couple of chains to help level the new surface. It's low tech, but it stills work.
RayBee

/ Antique Implements?
RayBee -

I like the log idea. That's a technology I can sink my teeth into. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I take it from you and the others that before you can get any real results from the spike harrow, you have to work the soil with something else to get it really loose first. I suppose that would be true for almost any kind of harrow, huh?

HarvSig.gif

/ Antique Implements? #14  
<font color=blue>I suppose that would be true for almost any kind of harrow, huh?</font color=blue>

I hope not. I was thinking about getting a small disk harrow for my B7500 to even out my field a little. (small ditches and bumps are a pain when hogging). I was thinking that with multiple passes and some weight that I could achieve this. Also, I have a single bottom plow that I have tried and it produced good results. After I did it, I thought great, but now what? The tiller can't handle the turned earth because it's all sod (just picks up the pieces and thrashes them about).

18-55424-kubota.jpg

/ Antique Implements? #15  
How large you field? If it was three acres or less I would use my tiller to till the spots that need to be leveled, the thrid pass with the tiller, would be going as fast as I can. It is amazing how levelthe area will be, a pass with my drag set aggressive and then reseed, one pass with my drag set non aggressive to cover the seed and pray for rain. I bet it will be level and smooth when done. Just mow the grass as short as possible before you till.

Dan L

/ Antique Implements? #16  
Harv, hang one of them "spikey things" on the shop wall so that you can hang your 'not a coffee cup' mugs on the spikes!
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Antique Implements? #17  
We used to use 'em 'ere tools in the order of:
1. moldboard plow
2. disc harrow
3. spike tooth drag

The plow and disc break the soil up thoroughly and
the drag breaks up the remaining lumps and creates
a fairly smooth planting surface.

-larry

/ Antique Implements?
Hey, Scruffy!

That's not a half bad idea. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Not sure they're strong enough for my Chalkley cups, but I could certainly hang a few hats on 'em. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Antique Implements? #19  
Harv,
I bet you could find all sorts of this and thats to hang on one!
Really though, I was thinking EMPTY Chalkley cups! Darn things could cause a roll-over if you only carried one and it wasn't centered. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Antique Implements? #20  
Harv, I haven't heard anyone mention the spring-tooth variation to the spike harrow. I have two or three of these sections and used them extensively as a kid to prep soil before planting. They worked good to drag out bermuda grass and johnson grass roots out of sandy soil after using the turning plow. I'll try to post a photo of them later this weekend.

JimI