any alternatives to a conventional grease gun????

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #1  

leeinmemphis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 5040 with FEL
Hey everyone,

I have recently developed some problems with my hands that are limiting the amount of hand strength I have. I was wondering if anyone is using something different that a conventional grease gun? I have a dozer and tractor so greasing equipment is part of the ritual. I have an air compressor so I guess air operated tools could be an option as well. I've seen a cordless grease gun that ran off a rechargeable battery but I can't seem to find it again. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

-lee-

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #2  
I use an air operated grease gun that I purchased from Harbor Freight on both my tractor and bulldozer. It works just fine as long as you don't get a cramp in your trigger finger.:D

As an aside, I believe there was a discussion here on grease guns a while back, but I just can't remember when.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #3  
I have both air operated and battery operated. Both work very well. The battery one has the advantage of being very convenient to use as there is no air hose to drag around. The air one has the advantage of being very cheap to buy. In a shop the air operated one would probably be fine for you and can be purchased most anywhere including TSC. The battery operated one is great if you grease thing's away from the air supply.

Personally I only use my battery operated ones anymore. Mine are Snap On and you don't even want to know what I paid for them. ;)

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #4  
If I ever decide to upgrade from a regular grease gun it will be to get an air operated grease gun. I've known a few guys who have tried the cordless 12/14/18-volt guns and generally have not been satisfied with them. Then again, they all bought the no-name brands. I'd have to guess that a big bucks brand might work well.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #5  
Bob_Skurka said:
If I ever decide to upgrade from a regular grease gun it will be to get an air operated grease gun. I've known a few guys who have tried the cordless 12/14/18-volt guns and generally have not been satisfied with them. Then again, they all bought the no-name brands. I'd have to guess that a big bucks brand might work well, but for the price of those you could get a couple air assist guns like Mad has.

Try you could probably buy a dozen air operated ones for what I paid for one Snap On battery operated one.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #7  
I've got a Lincoln air powered gun and my hands haven't cramped since, when greaseing the MMM, BH & FEL every 10 hrs of use :D

It works fine, is easy to prime and isn't very heavy or hard to handle.

I got it at Northern, don't recall the price as it was on sale but it was over 1/2 the price of a cordless they had.

Lincoln Automotive Pneumatic Grease Gun, Model# 1163 |Grease Guns | Northern Tool + Equipment

Lincoln Automotive Cordless Rechargeable Grease Gun Kit — 12 Volt, Model# 1242 |Grease Guns | Northern Tool + Equipment

Looks like 1bush2hog beat me to it :D

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #8  
Sears has a battery operated one have no idea if it is any good.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun????
thanks for all the info everyone. I guess I'll try to get an air operated unit. Is there a preferred amount of air pressure that I need to turn the regulator down to or does the grease gun regulate the pressure down itself? thanks again for all the advice on my tools implements over the past year or so. This forum has helped me in so many ways that I don't think I"ll ever be able to repay.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #10  
Like most all air tools the rated preasure is usually 90 PSI. I have run them on 175 PSI out of my shop and service trucks for years and never had one go poof yet.