Any Doomsday Preppers Here?

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #61  
2 freezers can be run by my 5kw diesel generator, have 400 gals diesel on site and bulldozer and tractor always full.

I wonder about running a generator or other engines. Obviously it depends on the location and the situation but the sound of a running engine might carry pretty far if it is the only thing running. Solar and a battery bank might seem like a better choice... but generally panels have to be visible to work so might also attract some unwanted attention.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #62  
That assumes that there will be a neighborhood left to create one from. What would happen in the aftermath of a global disaster like... nuclear war? Noone can know what will happen, so it's always best to assume the worst.

A nuclear war would create few direct effects in my area, since there are no military targets within 500 miles of my house. I haven't completely abandoned 19th century technology. I even have a 5' one man buck saw, and a 2 man "misery whip" for making firewood, as well as a couple bow saws. I have a homestead orchard that provides apples, plums, pears, cherries, apricots and figs, acres of berries, ettediouscetera.

No, I am not a survivalist, I'm just a typical rural guy with typical rural neighbors, far enough from any city that refugees are unlikely to be a problem. They would have to be really motivated to get here on foot, and somebody would surely put a round through Mad Max's engine block, so he would be on foot too. My survival plan for TEOTWAWKI is to go right on living like I have been.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #63  
My wife and I watched Jericho up until it was cancelled....We have often wondered if they were not pressured to cancel the show. Could it be the government became concerned it would give people ideas....? I'm just sayin'

It was a pretty dumb show, with the heroes running around in a gas hog. It would have been more realistic if they had converted a pickup to steam and had to worry about where to find dry firewood to feed the boiler.

The premise was also pretty stupid; a disease had killed off all the adults, causing the collapse of society. At the time of the show, all the kids were grown up, but society had not recovered at all. We know from history that plagues are wonderful things for the survivors. Vast resources, like land, are available just for the taking. Labor is in short supply, so wages skyrocket. Twenty years after a great plague, life is pretty sweet for the survivors.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #64  
It was a pretty dumb show, with the heroes running around in a gas hog. It would have been more realistic if they had converted a pickup to steam and had to worry about where to find dry firewood to feed the boiler.

The premise was also pretty stupid; a disease had killed off all the adults, causing the collapse of society. At the time of the show, all the kids were grown up, but society had not recovered at all. We know from history that plagues are wonderful things for the survivors. Vast resources, like land, are available just for the taking. Labor is in short supply, so wages skyrocket. Twenty years after a great plague, life is pretty sweet for the survivors.

Larry....You must be talking about a different show than " Jericho " - In Jericho the premise was there were home grown terrorists, 8 of them in 8 different US cities that all fired off Nukes in each city except one. Jericho was one of the cities that survived the blast but there were other cities in the US that did and the country was broken up under different leaders for awhile...The show was about how the folks of Jericho and their kids survived as a town....by banding together. So you must have seen a different movie...this was a series.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #65  
Hes right there was a different Jericho, I tivoed it by mistake. I saw why right away that one was cancelled.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #66  
I really liked Jericho, but it seems my tastes in entertainment don't match the key demographics.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #67  
A nuclear war would create few direct effects in my area, since there are no military targets within 500 miles of my house.

Are you sure?

The military has a habit of hiding things so one can never be sure. That, and there is this nasty little thing called nuclear fallout that can travel for hundreds or even thousands of miles, depending on the prevailing winds.

xfoio1.jpg

File:Fallout map USA (FEMA).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #68