any downside to hst?

/ any downside to hst? #31  
As GeneD14 pointed out, the only downside to my hydrostatic transmission is that if you plow, i.e. mouldboard plow (not snow plow), then the hydro is not as desireable as a gear tractor. Actually, any groundbreaking equipment like springtooth, planting, disking, chisel plowing, i.e. any traditional farming activities, seem to work better with a gear tractor. Or maybe it is psychological?

BUT, the hydrostat excels when using a front end loader, box blading, mowing, finish or bush hogging.

Obtw, I DO mouldboard plow one acre and use a four row planter, too with my 31 hp hydo tractor and it works fine. I just miss my Allis D14 for those chores!

also, the comparison to stick shift and automatic cars is a pretty good one.
My family says, "Why would anyone drive a stick shift when you can drive an automatic?" And to that I say, because a stick is more funner....!

/ any downside to hst? #32  
Many have stated that a gear tractor is best for plowing fields and such. My farmer friend has farmed his entire. A few years ago he bought a very big John Deere tractor that is loaded, ac, radio, fully enclosed cab and so on. I just found out yesterday that this tractor is an HST. I never would have expected him to buy such a machine as he has always had a standard shift. I'll have to ask him why he went HST this time. I think this is a 90 horsepower 4wd tractor.

/ any downside to hst? #33  
JimR said:
Many have stated that a gear tractor is best for plowing fields and such. My farmer friend has farmed his entire. A few years ago he bought a very big John Deere tractor that is loaded, ac, radio, fully enclosed cab and so on. I just found out yesterday that this tractor is an HST. I never would have expected him to buy such a machine as he has always had a standard shift. I'll have to ask him why he went HST this time. I think this is a 90 horsepower 4wd tractor.
Jim ask your neighbor what transmission he has. The 91hp 5525 has a 24 speed PowerReverser and the 95 hp 7720 has an IVT. JD doesn’t offer an HST in anything larger than a compact and never has. A person could believe that either one of these manual transmissions were a HST by the way in which they operate.

/ any downside to hst? #34  
The new hydros dont whine nearly as much as the older models, we own a fairly new (6 months old) B3030 hsdc. After break in and the full 50 hr service the only whine at all is in high range. For our application hydro is the only way to go. We may be brush hogging monday, digging & loading tuesday, york raking wendsday and perhaps fertilizing & spraying the rest of the week. Having owned several tractors over the years (kubota & international) We would never own another gear, glide shift perhaps, but not a true gear.

/ any downside to hst? #35  
My family says, "Why would anyone drive a stick shift when you can drive an automatic?" And to that I say, because a stick is more funner....!

Indeed!!!
thumb.gif
I agree, but not only is it funner but more efficient too. It goes hand and hand with the power loss. To achieve the same amount of work done with a HST figure on burning 10% more fuel +/-, then with a gear tractor. To my mind the time to throw away efficiency for mere convenience is long past. That is, if there was ever a time.
soapbox.gif
icon_lol.gif

Regards, Jamie

/ any downside to hst? #36  
AutoUnionTypeC said:
Indeed!!!
thumb.gif
I agree, but not only is it funner but more efficient too. It goes hand and hand with the power loss. To achieve the same amount of work done with a HST figure on burning 10% more fuel +/-, then with a gear tractor. To my mind the time to throw away efficiency for mere convenience is long past. That is, if there was ever a time.
soapbox.gif
icon_lol.gif

Regards, Jamie

Yeah, standard shift cars with no A/C are more efficient as well. They are known as "hog legs with heaters" in the business. The time has long passed where there is any desirability or resale value in a loss leader that has no creature comforts. If you are concerned about the loss in power to drive a hydro, buy more hp. Duh! If it makes you happy, I not only have a hydro tractor, but I enjoy mowing while sitting in air conditioned comfort without bugs bothering me or getting covered in trimmings or dirt. :)

Oh, I forgot, I've also pulled a 3 bottom 16" plow all day long, hammer down in four wheel drive and standing on the differential lock, without any issues at all. I'm in the camp that says that it's an old wife's tale that gear is better than hydro for any ground engauging items. Four hours non-stop pulling at full capacity on a 90 degree day with the A/C on and the temp gauge only got 1/4 the way into the green.

/ any downside to hst? #37  
AutoUnionTypeC said:
not only is it funner but more efficient too. It goes hand and hand with the power loss. To achieve the same amount of work done with a HST figure on burning 10% more fuel +/-, then with a gear tractor. To my mind the time to throw away efficiency for mere convenience is long past. That is, if there was ever a time.
soapbox.gif
icon_lol.gif

Regards, Jamie

Time VS money.... I'td be a good bet that an HST equipped tractor will outwork a similar GEAR equipped tractor in typical homeowner use. That is, it will get the jobs done faster, using my time more efficiently. That time can then be spent doing important things, like catching bugs with the kids. :D The few extra $$ spent on fuel and maintenance are far outweighed by the massive time savings the HST offers me for the tasks I do. :)

/ any downside to hst? #38  
MossRoad said:
That time can then be spent doing important things, like catching bugs with the kids.

You got a good point there. My 9 year old daughter has gotten the fishing fever bad lately. The sooner I can get my work finished, the sooner I can spend time with my 5 kids. (Yes, I really do have 5) Time that has passed can never be recovered, and we only have so much time. Hmm, maybe that's why I only sleep a few hours a night...:eek:

/ any downside to hst? #39  
Yeah, standard shift cars with no A/C are more efficient as well. They are known as "hog legs with heaters" in the business. The time has long passed where there is any desirability or resale value in a loss leader that has no creature comforts.

Well I drive a manual shift VW, New Beetle TDi, it has air conditioning but I only run it to keep it charged. Don't know what else to say, except.....................Got 50 MPG?
drive.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

/ any downside to hst? #40  
AutoUnionTypeC said:
Well I drive a manual shift VW, New Beetle TDi, it has air conditioning but I only run it to keep it charged. Don't know what else to say, except.....................Got 50 MPG?
drive.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I guess we are both happy; my pickup is a 445 hp diesel with over 1000 ft. lbs. of torque and weighs almost 8000 pounds. I can tow a 15,000 pound trailer over 100 mph. Don't pull out in front of me. :D