Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US

/ Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US #1  

LFP57

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610
Hello, a little back ground, a family friend's daughter was staying with us while she attended a university here in Michigan, it was part of a master's program she was attending in Canada. She purchased a car while she was in Canada and drove it here. She finished her last semester and was preparing to go back to Canada, she loaded her car with all of her belongings, she decided to visit her parents back in China before she drove back to Canada.

Once she arrived in China, they closed the boarders due to Covid 19, she's been stuck in China ever since, her car has been in my driveway now for nearly two years. She's decided that she's not coming back and wants to sell the car. I've been the to the Michigan Secretary of State, the person I spoke to said, admittingly that she wasn't positive, it shouldn't be a problem because the car is already here and no import taxes needed to be paid.

Has anyone experienced bringing in a car or purchasing a car that came from Canada?

/ Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US #2  
All cars sold in the North American market should be perfectly fine as far as specs and regulation like our FMVSS/DOT vs whatever Transport Canada? requires. The trick may be with the Canadian titling, importation, re-titling in US for US sale. I'm not sure how that would work.

/ Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US
All cars sold in the North American market should be perfectly fine as far as specs and regulation like our FMVSS/DOT vs whatever Transport Canada? requires. The trick may be with the Canadian titling, importation, re-titling in US for US sale. I'm not sure how that would work.
It's the re-titling I'm concerned with, the car is already here so I don't know what implications of importing I'd have to deal with.

/ Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US #4  
It's the re-titling I'm concerned with, the car is already here so I don't know what implications of importing I'd have to deal with.
Have you checked with your state DMV? They should be able to answer your questions.

/ Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US #5  
In Washington state it is just the regular paper work, Title, Bill Of Sale, Mileage statement., plus "the port of entry paperwork".
You should probably contact the dept of licensing in your state to find out what is needed thier.

I have a pickup that was brought across the border, it was a painless process.

/ Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US #6  
If the car is licensed in Canada then it has to be "imported" through US Customs and may have to be inspected by a state agency before it is licensed in the US. That the car is already here isn't really relevant, where it's titled is the only relevant factor. She will have to sell it to you and give you a bill of sale, whether that has to be notarized I don't know. With three nations involved, it may be difficult.

/ Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US #7  
You may have to do a title transfer in Canada also. In any case you will need to talk to US Customs about it.

/ Any Experience with Bringing a Vehicle from Canada into the US #8  
Give us more details on the exact vehicle. Year, make, model, mileage, and a couple of recent pictures. I would advertise it in Ontario, Canada, sell it as is to someone from there, and then basically all you would need is a bill of sale, which is part of the sellers package, and the signed ownership.