Mowing Any experience with Rhino SE 10A cutter?

/ Any experience with Rhino SE 10A cutter? #1  

whitcarroll

Tractor
John deere 5075e
I am new to this forum and tried to search this topic but could not find any posts. I currently use a Bush Hog 277 cutter that's over 20 years old. It has been a great cutter and has been used to cut some very tough stuff and finally needs to be replaced. I don't know if the 277 is considered medium or heavy duty, but I know it has been used like a heavy duty cutter. I recently found a Rhino SE 10A for sale at what seemed to be a good price but I do not have any experience with this or any other rhino cutter. The thing that concerns me is that the rhino says it is medium duty. Does anyone have any experience with the Rhino SE 10A or know how it would compare to the old 277 that I have (other than the 277 is 7' and the Rhino is 10')? Any help would be appreciated.

/ Any experience with Rhino SE 10A cutter? #2  
We had a 10' Rhino pull behind here. I THINK but am not sure that it was Heavy Duty. Had it behind (if I recall) an International 866.

When my Father in law bought it, it was touted as "Field Ready"..... well..... it wasn't. Needed some this & that, including a (approximately $500) CV joint on the PTO.

Once we got the bugs ironed out it was a beast. Went through whatever I threw at it and took the task of cutting the farm (on an IH 444 with 5' cutter) from literally a couple weekends of non-stop cutting, to 2-3 days of hard cutting.

I personally, wouldn't have any hesitation on the Rhino brand however, I would prefer a heavy duty unit because I do run over things and think that's better for me/us.

We don't have a Rhino today but that's because I found something else that would work and was an excellent price for my needs.

/ Any experience with Rhino SE 10A cutter?
Thank you for the info. The only thing holding me back from getting it is the "medium duty". It is what I consider field ready, just some dented in side skirting that can be bent out, nothing I am worried about as far as that goes. I think I may try to get him to lower the price. I have been looking for a good used 8-10ft cutter for a while and haven't had any luck. There are 1000's of 5-6ft cutters that are too small and a fair amount of bat wing cutters that are too large for what I need for sale around here for a reasonable price but anything in the 7-10ft range that is hard to find.

/ Any experience with Rhino SE 10A cutter? #4  
Hi I know the feeling. You could always go 15’ and overlap . Then if you ever need a bigger unit you have it, that’s what I did! It has paid off a few times.... but you may need a bigger tractor, that could be an issue. Just my opinion. Good luck

I thought about that, but I have a JD 5075 and it only has about 60hp at the pto so I am afraid a 15ft bat wing would be too much for it. Also, I have some roads that the 15 footer would not fit on. A 10ft cutter would be ideal for me, big enough to cut some open areas but small enough to fit down some hunting roads.

/ Any experience with Rhino SE 10A cutter? #6  
Problem with a 15’ is the weight if your trying to use it on a smaller tractor.

I will say the 5075 weighs almost a couple thousand pounds less than the ford 6640 that we previously used which was a concern. However we are able to use all the same implements including a 12' KMC field cultivator and a John deere 4200 3 row flip plow. Surprisingly the 5075e will pick up and pull both, but it has to be in 4 wheel drive and with the bucket on for front weight. I don't worry so much about the weight of the bush hog. Having said that I hope to get a 2 wheel drive row crop tractor of around 115-130 hp soon and let the 5075 be a utility tractor like it is meant to be.

/ Any experience with Rhino SE 10A cutter? #8  
Welcome to TBN.

I have a Rhino SE6 mounted cutter. I've had it several years. No problems with it. I consider it medium duty. Definitely not heavy duty.

I had a JD M1008 cutter. 10ft mounted. I considered it considerably tougher than the Rhino. And I had to add 1200lbs of suitcase weights to the front of my Kubota M9540 to carry it. Not sure how much the Rhino weighs. I sold it and bought a 15ft batwing. I got $2,400 for it.

As you said, mid sized cutters are hard to find. Would appreciate a follow up if you purchase the cutter.

/ Any experience with Rhino SE 10A cutter? #9  
I have a Rhino SE7 that I bought probably 18 years ago or so. I pull it with a 58 (pto)hp tractor. I have mowed lots of city lots, fields and mesquite pastures over the years that I have had it. While it has had a few repairs (rebuilt the tail wheel, straightened some sheet metal, changed the blades, I could take it to the field today if needed. It has been an excellent cutter. Seems like I gave about $2200 new when I bought it from the local New Holland dealer. If I needed another cutter today, I would buy a Rhino in a heartbeat.

Tim