Any HVAC Experts On Board? Lennox?

/ Any HVAC Experts On Board? Lennox?
I will try a -1 on the F7 setting. I kind of gave up on the idea of trying different adjustments after thinking more about the "stratification" associated with the F7 description thinking that it was futile.
Just getting into parameter adjustment mode is quite an undertaking with shutting down, pulling batteries out of the remote etc.
I did try the -1 setting parameter F7 but to no avail. At this point I'm thinking that this parameter, which is defined as a stratification adjustment, simply compensates the temp sensor depending on how high on the wall the unit is mounted. For instance, the setting for accurate temp sensing would be much different if the inside unit was mounted fifteen feet versus six feet above the floor where it would be sensing the cooler air.

At this point I'm thinking that a $100 investment in this smart controller is worth a try. My concern is starting and stopping the compressor to achieve, say, plus or minus one degree of temp control.
Perhaps the Cielo does a better job of modulating the compressor output. Don't know, probably just have to try it. The current level of comfort can only be achieved by constantly changing the set temp.

Last edited:
   / Any HVAC Experts On Board? Lennox? #32  
I did try the -1 setting parameter F7 but to no avail. At this point I'm thinking that this parameter, which is defined as a stratification adjustment, simply compensates the temp sensor depending on how high on the wall the unit is mounted. For instance, the setting for accurate temp sensing would be much different if the inside unit was mounted fifteen feet versus six feet above the floor where it would be sensing the cooler air.

At this point I'm thinking that a $100 investment in this smart controller is worth a try. My concern is starting and stopping the compressor to achieve, say, plus or minus one degree of temp control.
Perhaps the Cielo does a better job of modulating the compressor output. Don't know, probably just have to try it. The current level of comfort can only be achieved by constantly changing the set temp.
I was thinking the same thing when I posted ....but lacking another setting it was worth a try.

You are getting a 5 degree "swing". That's not really acceptable with any HVAC system IMO.

The term "offset" as with your F7 function....I think you have verified just offsets the sensor to compensate for placement. But does nothing for on/off swings.

I know next to nothing about newer mini-split stuff. But on most all good t-stats that work in conjunction with a typical HVAC system....have the ability to both offset (think of it in terms of calibrating the t-stats) as well as being able to adjust the on/off temp swings.

Would like to thank all who have responded to this thread. It's just awesome reaching out to all the knowledge "out there" and receiving all the valuable feedback.

/ Any HVAC Experts On Board? Lennox? #34  
A quick glance through the responses, no one asked if the unit is mounted on an outside wall. The unit temp sensor is mounted on top of the unit,in the return grille. This is why the fan runs slowly all the time, to put air across the sensor. If the lineset goes out the back of the unit to the outside,make sure the installers sealed the hole behind the unit.It will pull outside air in and influence the temp sensor.

A quick glance through the responses, no one asked if the unit is mounted on an outside wall. The unit temp sensor is mounted on top of the unit,in the return grille. This is why the fan runs slowly all the time, to put air across the sensor. If the lineset goes out the back of the unit to the outside,make sure the installers sealed the hole behind the unit.It will pull outside air in and influence the temp sensor.

The unit is mounted to an inside wall but your point is well taken.

/ Any HVAC Experts On Board? Lennox? #36  
Was the contractor able to make an schedueled appointment to call factory support, and has the issue been taken care of?

Last edited:
Was the contractor able to make an schedueled appointment to call factory support, and has the issue been taken care of?
I have not asked the contractor to contact Lennox as I am certain, at this point, that the remote controller provided with the minisplit simply does not have the capability needed.

I purchased the Cielo smart controller and am now able to control the minisplit within as little as one degree (+-0.5 degrees) using the "comfy" setting. This mode allows you to tell the minisplit what to do when the temp drops below the setting as well as when it goes above the setting. I currently have it set to go into low fan when dropping below set point and cool on low fan when going above the set point. Seems to work flawlessly.

Some of the minisplit brands are supplying the Cielo with their product. Lennox needs to get with the program!

/ Any HVAC Experts On Board? Lennox? #38  
Trane, American Standard, Lennox, Armstrong Air, Carrier, Tempstar, Heil
Rheem, Ruud, Keeprite, AircoAir, York, Coleman, LuxAir and a host of other sublines of unitary split HVAC product sold in the United States does not make their own ductless mini split system.

As mentioned, Lennox the last I heard was using Media (sp?) and that was only after so many contractors complained about the previous manufacturer being Gree (sp?). Ironcially enough, all the York residential mini split stuff is made now by Gree (who lennox dumped).

At the end of the day, your installing HVAC contractor is the person responsible for making the job right because that's the assumption when you pay them to do the job. Apparently they did not do that.

That said, it's nice to know the problem has apparently been resolved at least by yourself!

Personally, never had to use a 3rd party controller except for Mitsubishi made by Honeywell, but that was also approved by Mitsubishi. I can tell you Daikin, Fujitsu and Mitsubishi don't approve of 3rd party contollers, some good reasons, some not so good.

Trane, American Standard, Lennox, Armstrong Air, Carrier, Tempstar, Heil
Rheem, Ruud, Keeprite, AircoAir, York, Coleman, LuxAir and a host of other sublines of unitary split HVAC product sold in the United States does not make their own ductless mini split system.

As mentioned, Lennox the last I heard was using Media (sp?) and that was only after so many contractors complained about the previous manufacturer being Gree (sp?). Ironcially enough, all the York residential mini split stuff is made now by Gree (who lennox dumped).

At the end of the day, your installing HVAC contractor is the person responsible for making the job right because that's the assumption when you pay them to do the job. Apparently they did not do that.

That said, it's nice to know the problem has apparently been resolved at least by yourself!

Personally, never had to use a 3rd party controller except for Mitsubishi made by Honeywell, but that was also approved by Mitsubishi. I can tell you Daikin, Fujitsu and Mitsubishi don't approve of 3rd party contollers, some good reasons, some not so good.

I don't feel like the contractor made it "wrong" but rather installed the Lennox in good faith.
I'm just not one to ask another to pay for something that I don't feel he is obligated to pay for. Lennox should pay if anyone should but good luck with that. :)

Again, I very much appreciate all the feedback!

/ Any HVAC Experts On Board? Lennox? #40  

I don't feel like the contractor made it "wrong" but rather installed the Lennox in good faith.
I'm just not one to ask another to pay for something that I don't feel he is obligated to pay for. Lennox should pay if anyone should but good luck with that. :)

Again, I very much appreciate all the feedback!
I'm not a lennox fan for various reasons, but don't hold Lennox accountable for not paying you, because they should IMO if they did not resolve the issue or have an answer as to why the problem was occuring. Something like that takes time and effort on the contractors end to follow through. Been there done that for the contractor on my end, believe me.

At the end of the day, there is only 3rd party controller for a ductless mini split manufacturer that is basically a honeywell t-stat that was approved through the actual manufacturer of the mini split.

I get a phone call with an issue, and if I hear you have that t-stat on the wall that wasn't approved by the manufacturer, as long as you paid for it and are happy, great, saves me a trip and my problem is gone and it becomes yours in the future.

That said, if it works great and solved your problem, the contractor should take it up with Lennox, and then Lennox with Media (or whoever they are using for a private lable brand for mini splits) and they should look at it and see why it solved the problem (common sense).

I've found the Japanesse more **** retentive than myself. Not the case with the Chinese for whatever reason (you'd think if you're an engineer, it wouldn't matter what country you're from, go figure).

I sincerely wish most homeowners were like you! 😁