Any idea what this chain is from?

/ Any idea what this chain is from? #1  

4runner

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 322, JD 4110
A few weeks ago, I swept out the garage before moving my John Deere 4110 into it's winter location. So at that time, the garage floor was clean. I used the tractor several times over the last weeks and it has been the only machine parked in this place. Yesterday, I noticed this chain on the floor underneath the engine area. It looks like a small bicycle chain about 12.5 inches long, but the link size is much smaller. On one end, it has a vinyl coated wire hook, about the gauge of a paper clip, but the bends don't line up with a paper clip and besides, it appears to be very light duty, so I doubt it is a operational part. But, I don't remember seeing this before in the 10+ years of being in the house! Is it from the tractor?

Any ideas?

image-3933896640.jpg

/ Any idea what this chain is from? #2  
A chain (part of) from a garage door opener maybe.

/ Any idea what this chain is from? #3  
With that "paper clip" end it sure hasn't been used in any type of service that comes to mind for a tractor. If you have a garage door opener - check there - might be the tag end of the operating chain that was never used but was there just in case the installation required added chain. Otherwise, you have elves storing their treasurers in your garage.

/ Any idea what this chain is from? #4  
Not from your tractor. How it got there is beyond me. My guess is the paperclip was used to hang the chain for storage. A hoarder like me would do that. Previous owner maybe??

But then a hoarder like me,,,, in a couple days,,,,, will remember that it's actually a chain that I hoarded/stored,,, rather than some mysterious find!!!! :D

/ Any idea what this chain is from? #5  
Not from your tractor. How it got there is beyond me. My guess is the paperclip was used to hang the chain for storage. A hoarder like me would do that. Previous owner maybe??

But then a hoarder like me,,,, in a couple days,,,,, will remember that it's actually a chain that I hoarded/stored,,, rather than some mysterious find!!!! :D

I agree on the paper clip thingy, and I think it is the extension for the garage door opener chain. Sent as a kit and depending on how many panels you have in the door will determine if it is needed or not. That is my story and I am sticking too it!:)

/ Any idea what this chain is from? #6  
I agree on the paper clip thingy, and I think it is the extension for the garage door opener chain. Sent as a kit and depending on how many panels you have in the door will determine if it is needed or not. That is my story and I am sticking too it!:)

Yep, the original installer of the door was a HOARDER too and hung it on the opener motor!!!!

/ Any idea what this chain is from?
I'm liking the garage door chain idea! But, I went to check to see if it matched the door opener I have installed and it doesn't. So I checked my "spare" unit that I have stored, some may say "hoarded" for 8 years, and no go there, either.

The curious thing is how these things just "show up". It must have fell out of something I was moving, or like was suggested, elves have been here.

/ Any idea what this chain is from? #8  
My FIL used to store chains in oil, he would have hooked the clip to the edge of a can or something.

Or, that has always been riding around on your tractor, maybe the chain was used for something during the factory assembly, and it happened to fall off now.

/ Any idea what this chain is from? #9  
I'm liking the garage door chain idea! But, I went to check to see if it matched the door opener I have installed and it doesn't. So I checked my "spare" unit that I have stored, some may say "hoarded" for 8 years, and no go there, either.

The curious thing is how these things just "show up". It must have fell out of something I was moving, or like was suggested, elves have been here.

Oh,,,, now the story changes,,,, you didn't mention earlier that you have elves!!!! Once in a while I have elves. A friend or my boys will bring something over that they think I'd like to have and just leave it laying in the shop. Sometimes by the walk-in door. Sometimes on the Welding bench, wherever. I'll find it and wonder how the heck did that get here and where's it been!!! Sometimes weeks or months later someone will ask how I liked the widget they brought over??? :D

Makes for an interesting topic doesn't it!!!! ;)

/ Any idea what this chain is from?
Oh,,,, now the story changes,,,, you didn't mention earlier that you have elves!!!! Once in a while I have elves. A friend or my boys will bring something over that they think I'd like to have and just leave it laying in the shop. Sometimes by the walk-in door. Sometimes on the Welding bench, wherever. I'll find it and wonder how the heck did that get here and where's it been!!! Sometimes weeks or months later someone will ask how I liked the widget they brought over??? :D

Makes for an interesting topic doesn't it!!!! ;)

Well, I am not really changing the story, I am merely accepting that an alternate reality may have taken place during this season...:)
Merry Christmas!