Ballast Any idea what this tire filling is?

/ Any idea what this tire filling is? #21  
I went through this a couple years ago with my tractor. I can't smell and hence can't taste worth a crap. I think it was just water. I live near the AL/TN border, so don't need a lot of freeze protection.

I fixed it by draining the water and then injectiong 5 gallons of RV antifreeze with the rest water. I got the RV antifreeze at Walmart in the spring, which means it was on sale for $1-2/gallon. Cheap insurance.

Creating a diluted mix of RV anti freeze in your tractor tires actually accomplished two things.

#1 - it made you feel better about having added freeze protection to your tires.
#2 - provided Walmart with yet another sale.

RV antifreeze when diluted, very quickly looses antifreeze properties, and is rendered ineffective.

/ Any idea what this tire filling is? #22  
Creating a diluted mix of RV anti freeze in your tractor tires actually accomplished two things.

#1 - it made you feel better about having added freeze protection to your tires.

RV antifreeze when diluted, very quickly looses antifreeze properties, and is rendered ineffective.

I wonder by how much.
I found this on the internet, but don't know if its: True, ....or for propylene glycol or Ethylene glycol, ....but at 10% mix this says you can get freeze protection down to about 25F which might be fine for many parts of the country.
Anti.jpg

Attachments

• Anti.bmp
    759.3 KB · Views: 70
   / Any idea what this tire filling is? #23  
I wonder by how much.
I found this on the internet, but don't know if its: True, ....or for propylene glycol or Ethylene glycol, ....but at 10% mix this says you can get freeze protection down to about 25F which might be fine for many parts of the country.
View attachment 633381

I would suspect that graph is for Ethylene Glycol.
I did a crude freezer sample test several years ago, and was surprised at how the effectiveness of Propylene Glycol decreased when diluted, by only 25% water.
At 75% water with 25% Propylene Glyco,l there was no freeze protection.

/ Any idea what this tire filling is? #24  
I wonder by how much.
View attachment 633381

Diluting propylene glycol with water just raises the freezing point. It doesn't work the same as ethylene glycol which requires 30% or more dilution water in order to lower the freeze point. You can also taste the difference. Just tasting it isn't going to kill you. In fact, I'd say that's a good diagnostic tool.
rScotty

Attachments

• antifreeze_comparison_640px.jpg
    antifreeze_comparison_640px.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 235
   / Any idea what this tire filling is? #25  
RV antifreeze is already up to 80% water. I don't think diluting it will have too much effect.

/ Any idea what this tire filling is?
If you worked in an automative environment you knew what antifreeze smelled like, no need to taste it.
Even the exhaust you could smell it IF there was a problem.

What does Antifreeze do to the rubber in tires ?
I know from years back, you don't want to get it on the Asphalt; it would break down the binders.

My Tires stated to leak around the rim, started worrying about the rim rusting in the tire area. Tried to add a little more air, thinking it needed more pressure against the tire but the tire would take more air... ! Drove on it for a while, using the BH Stablizer took the weight off it and tapped the tire around the rim with a soft mallet.
Seems to have stopped leaking but wonder why it started leaking at all.

The tires were filled about three years ago, don't know the maintenance needed, all has been well until now but it does seem to have stopped leaking so my fingers are crosses.

I can smell a vehicle leaking antifreeze walking through a parking lot. This definitely isn’t automotive antifreeze. Rv antifreeze, possibly.

/ Any idea what this tire filling is? #27  
There is a good chance it might be automotive windshield wiper fluid. That is a often used ballast in my part of the country. It is usually, if not always, a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water. It is not as heavy as beet juice or calcium chloride, but is an inexpensive way to add considerable ballast with freeze protection down to about -20F. Even then, when it freezes it turns to a liquidy slush rather than solid ice. It doesn't offer as good as freeze protection as antifreeze, but is much safer than ethylene glycol and usually less expensive than propylene glycol if you can find it on sale somewhere. It comes in various colors. I have seen this stuff that has been in tires for years and come out as clean and clear as it went in. I wouldn't probably choose to use it if I lived in Minnesota, but wouldn't hesitate if I lived in Tennessee.

/ Any idea what this tire filling is? #28  
There is a good chance it might be automotive windshield wiper fluid. That is a often used ballast in my part of the country. [...]

My local dealer says they always use this. It's what's in my rear tires. I live between Philadelphia and Baltimore.

/ Any idea what this tire filling is? #29  
All of the automotive windshield washer fluid I have ever seen has been a mix of Methanol and water. It is toxic to humans and 4 footers. And it is probably the most common ballast to put into tires.

/ Any idea what this tire filling is? #30  

Well like my Boeing Tech Lead told me years and years ago: One test is worth a thousand theories.

In this case, it works. A couple years ago it got down to the 10-20s during the day for almost a full week. Both temps and the length of time are unusual for this area (SC TN); hence it could be considered worst case for my location and situation. The rear (nor the front) tires never froze, they were totally drive able. There's a thread on it around here somewhere.

So I'm pretty happy with it, especially given that the chances of me actually being outside and working in 10-20 degree weather is somewhere between slim and none, your snotty reply notwithstanding.