Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here?

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #11  
Alot of commercial guys are going diesel because the fuel costs are about 30% lower. You pay an extra $1000 for the engine but easliy make that up in just one season of use.

Some of the companies are catching on to the fact that the engines will way outlast the rest of the components of the tractor. Ferris just released a CAT diesel 4500 that has berrings and drive system made to last as long as the engine does. Each spindle weights about 10-12lbs and is about 10" round.

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( However, once they get up to around 1500-2000 its time for a new deck. After the deck goes out the clutch and drive units won't be far behind.

As a homeowner I couldn't justify spending a few extra thousand dollars for a diesel motor because chances are you will never put the amount of hours on it to justify the cost. Diesels are great for people that use them every day to make a living, but other than that they are overkill. Thats just my take on the matter. )</font>

My ZTR has a gas engine and I'm figuring it's probably good for about the 1500-2000 hours gamble77 mentions.

I did a lot more mowing this season than usual due to the weather and checked the hour meter last night. 21 hours for the year.

In that I'm getting up there a little in years, I figure this gas one should outlast me and probably my son.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a diesel but I too couldn't justify the $ for what I mow. Even at $1K more for a diesel, I can buy 500 gallons (if it stays at $2) of gas which is a lifetime supply.

Neil - glad to hear companies are catching on and making other components keep up with the engine longevity.

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #13  
You all have brought home an important point. It will probably take 10 years for me to get 1000 hours on the engine, so do I need to spend alot more on a diesel? This is something to factor into my decision. For example, our Gravely 5665, whihch we've had for about 20 years, has ~1100 hours on it, cutting about 2 acres of formal lawn (usually about 3 hours at a stretch, if not longer) all those years. Likely there will be a number of improvements to the technologies out there when a ZTR's mower deck starts to show its age. Thanks for the great insight, TBN!

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #14  
The Scag is a nice machine. With a wife and 2 soon to be teenagers that will be mowing soon I opted for a machine with a ROPS. We have some hills, and I feel better when someone else is in the driver's seat with the seat belt and rops.

The ZD21 is absolutely the quietest ztr I tested. No need for the headset with this machine. With it running you can actually carry on a conversation.

I agree this machine will outlast me, we'll do ~100 hours a year, but then again my L3710 will also outlast me.

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It will probably take 10 years for me to get 1000 hours on the engine, so do I need to spend alot more on a diesel?
This is something to factor into my decision. For example, our Gravely 5665, whihch we've had for about 20 years, has ~1100 hours on it, cutting about 2 acres of formal lawn (usually about 3 hours at a stretch, if not longer) all those years. )</font>

Raphael,
It'll take a lot longer than 10 years to get 1000 hours on the ZTR to cut 2 acres. Unlike the Gravely, a ZTR should take you less than 1 hour to mow that. My GT took 2.5 hours to mow about the same size yard. The ZTR does the same in 40 minutes.
Brian

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I ended up buying a 27hp Scag ZTR 61" deck. Here's a pic of our Scag.

Moon of Ohio )</font>

Nice Wildcat you have there. I bought a new scag walk behind in 1998 to use on my 2 acre yard. It has been an excellent machine. This year I decided I was tired of walking for 2 hours every time I mowed the yard so I started shopping. Last month I found a good used Turf Tiger with 72" deck on Ebay and snapped it up. It's powered by a 27HP LC Kawasaki and runs great. Now it takes me a mere 40 minutes to mow and it's a blast to ride. Here's a pic of mine:

Attachments

• 517153-Aug_Sep_04 100.jpg
    517153-Aug_Sep_04 100.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 390
   / Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #17  
You found one on Ebay!!!! Who would've thought.
I suppose all ZTR's are set up the same, but your pic shows how the front left wheel (as we're facing it) sticks out further than the right one. This makes it so easy to zip around trees or flower beds. These do have a ROP option, but I didn't opt for that. With no seat belt I"m not sure ROP is a good idea.

I'm thinking of getting the stripe-ing kit for the next mowing season.

Moon of Ohio

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #18  
Winstonsm;
I missed part of your question, Sorry.
Your question was comparing the Kubota ZTR's to a 2230 with a 5' MMM. From my experience, I'd get the 2230. I also have a Kubota 3010 which I purchased a couple years before the ZTR. If I could only have one of the it would definetly be the L3010. The ZTR is by far the better mower (no matter what brand you go for); but a tractor is much more useful overall. Get the tractor, and if you can swing it get a FEL with it. Once you have a FEL you'll wonder how you ever got by without it. It will allow you to accomplish so much more in less time, and best of all, it is a back saver!
Good luck with your shopping.
Moon of Ohio

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #19  
OUr ZD21 with the 7guage steel PRODECK already has 160 hours on it and it is not even a year old. This deck will easily last 7,000 hours and the spindles are a simple 10 minute change out if the bearings take a hard beating from hitting curbs, stumps, rocks, etc..

Everything we own is diesel and run great! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 683832-ZD21 Sidea.jpg
    683832-ZD21 Sidea.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 263