Any landscape/lawncare/nursery entrepreneurs here

/ Any landscape/lawncare/nursery entrepreneurs here #1  

eee

Gold Member
I have am thinking of delving into this industry. I live south of a high population area and I see a lot of potential . What kind of services do you offer ? How about just selling shrubs/trees landscaping stones..etc.etc. ? I am not a landscape architect but I feel I could do everything else. What do you think ?

/ Any landscape/lawncare/nursery entrepreneurs here #2  
roughcut, pardon the intrusion, but I'd also love to hear about this.

About 3 years ago the lovely Mrs_Bob and I almost bought a small garden center on the edge of town, it was only open spring through fall and only sold plants and swimming pool supplies. I couldn't see it turning any real profit, even without offering services, I could see potential. The only reason we didn't buy it was because timing in our lives wasn't right to take on a new, and very time consuming, project like reinventing a business. But we still have the desire.

/ Any landscape/lawncare/nursery entrepreneurs here #3  
You may want to visit The Lawn Cafe. This forum is specific to the lawn/landscaping business.

/ Any landscape/lawncare/nursery entrepreneurs here #4  
You can also try www.LawnSite.com . They have several forums and plenty of landscape professionals ready to give advice. There are even 2 forums for business related topics, a just starting forum and an ongoing business forum.

/ Any landscape/lawncare/nursery entrepreneurs here #5  
When ever someone asks about starting a business, I ask what type of experiance do they have in the trade. If they have none, I suggest that they get a job working for someone else that is in the trade to learn it and decide if it is the type of trade that they would like after doing it for a while. I suggest that it takes about 2 years to get most of the knowledge that is required to starting a new venture from conception to opening. This is best done by learning from others in the trade.