Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000?

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #11  
I'll add a bit related to weight. Standard guidance is to get as much weight as you can...but there are times when weight can be a detriment.

I have a 1960 Massey Ferguson 35...light, yet a big hearted pulling and brush hogging machine...fun to use...and I'll not sell it. And then I have my MX6000 ROPS with HST.

I consider the MF35 to be a lightweight, the MX a mid-weight, and the M series and above to be heavyweight.

Part of the reason I like the MX6000 is the ~60 HP in a slightly smaller/lighter frame than the full-sized Kubota M series.

I have 35 acres in Northern PA, with a 1/2 mile drive to maintain. I mow 8 acres of it with the MX and an 8' finish mower, simply because I like the way it looks! The goal is to maintain that section as smooth as possible and to keep it rut free.

Weight is your friend, but not if your goal is smooooooth.

With our wet clay in the spring, excessive weight can get one trenching towards China, rather than staying on top leaving minimal tracks.

It is a balancing act which the MX6000 achieves (for me at least) with appreciable and usable HP in the mid-size frame.

The loaded rears and 4 wheel drive keeps me going in the thick of it when using the grapple, loader, bush hog, land plane, plow and disc harrow, all are reasonably large capacity attachments, yet the tractor can still be nimble when needed.

Respectfully, I'm not doing production ground engagement like LouNY and many others or I may have gone bigger, and maybe not with HST...

But the MX is the RIGHT balance of HP and weight for my situation.

Oh yeah, and about the ROPS...I choose it over the cab. I can afford either, so it was not an economic decision.

It is my preference to fully experience the 9 months of open air freedom...with the wind, sun, clouds, even rain and simply accept the remaining 3 months of snow and cold...I have a good brrr suit!

I create a lot of seat time and the open station keeps me alive and in touch with the land, the weather and the world around me. I'm using the tractor because I want to, not because I have to.

While it's not for everyone, the MX6000/ROPS has been a perfect choice for me.

.../TJ

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #12  
I traded my 270 hours in 3 1/2 years L3901 to a MX5400 a couple weeks ago primarily for hillside stability and extra weight for better traction and neither has/had a cab.
I've used the MX5400 for about 3 hours in the woods making a couple of new trails and doing some maintenance on on steep trail that washes out and I've moved a couple of huge rocks. I haven't attached my LP Quick Hitch to it yet and didn't have any extra weight on the back other than filled tires. The MX does seem a bit bigger and it is. It seems more stable than the L3901 and I believe it is with more width and weight. I was after more weight and width stability than extra HP which is my reason for trading plus I wanted more hyd lifting power with the FEL. Also to make it an even 30 and probably finished trading now. :) :) We've had plenty of rain and so muddy but about 4 days of no rain is forecast starting tomorrow so I'll maybe get a few more hours of testing completed in a few days.

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000?
Thank you for review. Open air and the weather around is great but if your tilling or packing up a dust storm in the wind, a cab is your friend. And while weight is great for some things, it's not for seeding and tippy-toeing over dry soil that's been carefully leveled and firmed. Nor is weight great for transport because of trailer limitations.

The MX5400-MX6000 seems to solve lots of problems because of it's smaller size and beefy HP combined with the cab option.

I'll add a bit related to weight. Standard guidance is to get as much weight as you can...but there are times when weight can be a detriment.

I have a 1960 Massey Ferguson 35...light, yet a big hearted pulling and brush hogging machine...fun to use...and I'll not sell it. And then I have my MX6000 ROPS with HST.

I consider the MF35 to be a lightweight, the MX a mid-weight, and the M series and above to be heavyweight.

Part of the reason I like the MX6000 is the ~60 HP in a slightly smaller/lighter frame than the full-sized Kubota M series.

I have 35 acres in Northern PA, with a 1/2 mile drive to maintain. I mow 8 acres of it with the MX and an 8' finish mower, simply because I like the way it looks! The goal is to maintain that section as smooth as possible and to keep it rut free.

Weight is your friend, but not if your goal is smooooooth.

With our wet clay in the spring, excessive weight can get one trenching towards China, rather than staying on top leaving minimal tracks.

It is a balancing act which the MX6000 achieves (for me at least) with appreciable and usable HP in the mid-size frame.

The loaded rears and 4 wheel drive keeps me going in the thick of it when using the grapple, loader, bush hog, land plane, plow and disc harrow, all are reasonably large capacity attachments, yet the tractor can still be nimble when needed.

Respectfully, I'm not doing production ground engagement like LouNY and many others or I may have gone bigger, and maybe not with HST...

But the MX is the RIGHT balance of HP and weight for my situation.

Oh yeah, and about the ROPS...I choose it over the cab. I can afford either, so it was not an economic decision.

It is my preference to fully experience the 9 months of open air freedom...with the wind, sun, clouds, even rain and simply accept the remaining 3 months of snow and cold...I have a good brrr suit!

I create a lot of seat time and the open station keeps me alive and in touch with the land, the weather and the world around me. I'm using the tractor because I want to, not because I have to.

While it's not for everyone, the MX6000/ROPS has been a perfect choice for me.

.../TJ

Good to hear from you, JOHNTHOMAS. The MX is noticeably different from the L's. I have an MX5100 open station and it is much more stable and agile than my L4300. Heavier and wider but also better balanced and "stickier" to the ground on slopes It seems like a lower center of gravity but I can't verify that. Lifts much more and easier than my "L". I'll call it night and day different. The MX is a great combination and I'm working on the L4300 sale. Cabs are no problem here because of no trees.

But wait; you stop at 30? :laughing: You're already the poster child for good Kubota behavior so no need to step back now.

I traded my 270 hours in 3 1/2 years L3901 to a MX5400 a couple weeks ago primarily for hillside stability and extra weight for better traction and neither has/had a cab.
I've used the MX5400 for about 3 hours in the woods making a couple of new trails and doing some maintenance on on steep trail that washes out and I've moved a couple of huge rocks. I haven't attached my LP Quick Hitch to it yet and didn't have any extra weight on the back other than filled tires. The MX does seem a bit bigger and it is. It seems more stable than the L3901 and I believe it is with more width and weight. I was after more weight and width stability than extra HP which is my reason for trading plus I wanted more hyd lifting power with the FEL. Also to make it an even 30 and probably finished trading now. :) :) We've had plenty of rain and so muddy but about 4 days of no rain is forecast starting tomorrow so I'll maybe get a few more hours of testing completed in a few days.

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #15  
I have an MX5400, no cab.
I only have 8 hrs on it, so I cannot tell you much. I like the capability of the loader, compared to my last tractor.
I have a 6' finish mower that I use but it is not as wide as my tires. I have used the grading scraper I bought with it and it pulls it easily.
Since my old tractor was 30 yrs old, this new tractor turns a lot tighter, I like that.
The one thing I like better on my old tractor is the placement of the FEL control stick. This one keeps you from getting on the tractor from the right side.
You will have it different if you get a cab. I just could not talk my wife into spending the extra for a cab model.
If you get the new tractor, post your likes and dislikes.

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #16  
I have an MX5400, no cab.
I only have 8 hrs on it, so I cannot tell you much. I like the capability of the loader, compared to my last tractor.
I have a 6' finish mower that I use but it is not as wide as my tires. I have used the grading scraper I bought with it and it pulls it easily.
Since my old tractor was 30 yrs old, this new tractor turns a lot tighter, I like that.
The one thing I like better on my old tractor is the placement of the FEL control stick. This one keeps you from getting on the tractor from the right side.
You will have it different if you get a cab. I just could not talk my wife into spending the extra for a cab model.
If you get the new tractor, post your likes and dislikes.

I added a couple more hours to my new MX5400 yesterday. I attached the LP Quick Hitch and then picked up the Grader blade and leveled aan area where I plan parking my 12' trailer. I compacted my big brush pile and pressed down on it with bucket and tractor weight. I attacked a grown up area with small trees and then back to the woods to clar some more trail and cut off trails and then back to take pics of my now to short by 6" Pirinha bar from my L3901. The MX5400 seems to steer much easier and in a shorter area than the L3901. I've sent pics to Machinist BIL to help me adapt the Pirinha bar to my 6" wider bucket. I also picked up my carry all 3 ph implement in the front bucket and relocated it to my implement "garden" where I have a Rotary mower, 2 Forks, Boxblade and grapple.
Here are some pics of to short Pirinha and will send pics of adapted Pirinha when it is adapted to wider bucket. DSCF7070.JPGDSCF7069.JPGDSCF7068.JPG

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #17  
I added a couple more hours to my new MX5400 yesterday. I attached the LP Quick Hitch and then picked up the Grader blade and leveled aan area where I plan parking my 12' trailer. I compacted my big brush pile and pressed down on it with bucket and tractor weight. I attacked a grown up area with small trees and then back to the woods to clar some more trail and cut off trails and then back to take pics of my now to short by 6" Pirinha bar from my L3901. The MX5400 seems to steer much easier and in a shorter area than the L3901. I've sent pics to Machinist BIL to help me adapt the Pirinha bar to my 6" wider bucket. I also picked up my carry all 3 ph implement in the front bucket and relocated it to my implement "garden" where I have a Rotary mower, 2 Forks, Boxblade and grapple.
Here are some pics of to short Pirinha and will send pics of adapted Pirinha when it is adapted to wider bucket.View attachment 669026View attachment 669027View attachment 669028

DSCF7066.JPGDSCF7065.JPGDSCF7062.JPGDSCF7063.JPGDSCF7064.JPGDSCF7061.JPG

AQUABIRD--Will post pics and comments if I get it. It's on the radar and I really need a cab tractor this size. Add rearview mirrors, a work light, right side door handle and a rear remote and it's an even greater tractor. Are your tires set narrow or wide?

JOHNTHOMAS--Thank you for the pics and comments. They are very helpful. I actually don't need a loader on this tractor but may get one anyway just for resale. And R-1 ag tires would work better for me for traction and slipping while planting on minor slopes. I like the ind tires more than the ag tires but need the ag tires more than the ind tires for it's intended purpose.

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #19  
AQUABIRD--Will post pics and comments if I get it. It's on the radar and I really need a cab tractor this size. Add rearview mirrors, a work light, right side door handle and a rear remote and it's an even greater tractor. Are your tires set narrow or wide?

JOHNTHOMAS--Thank you for the pics and comments. They are very helpful. I actually don't need a loader on this tractor but may get one anyway just for resale. And R-1 ag tires would work better for me for traction and slipping while planting on minor slopes. I like the ind tires more than the ag tires but need the ag tires more than the ind tires for it's intended purpose.

I asked about how they were going to set the tires. They told me there was no option? When I was dealing on an L model, one dealer told me he could set them either way.
I have turf tires and the tractor seems awful wide to me, so I am not sure what they did. I do not want it wider. I only have one place where the ground has a rise to it, near the road.
When I get out there(3 miles away), I will check the width from outside rear tires. I would guess around 74"?

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #20  
I recently traded from a L4701 to an MX6000. Physically the tractors are much different size wise. Same BH92 backhoe on each tractor. The loaders seem to be night and day different with the mx winning that battle for sure. At 11 hrs, I cannot give a full review yet but I do like the mx6000. Mine is an open station. I also added a RCD1884 to the package. The dealer had them on the lot when I went to pick up the MX6000. After putting a few hours on it mowing, I wish I would have went to an 8 ft cutter.