Any pressure washer experts?

/ Any pressure washer experts? #1  

emmy71

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
I know a lot of you have pressure washers for your equipment, so I hope someone can help me with mine. I have a typical small engine washer ( 6hp Briggs, 2000 psi General pump, soap injection, etc.). The pressure washer works fine except for one problem. I start the engine with the trigger on the wand pulled and I get high pressure like I should. However, when I release the trigger for any amount of time and then pull it again the pressure drops. I have to throttle the engine down to idle and then back up to full power to get high pressure again. I figure something is hanging up inside the pump, but I am not sure what. I did a search on the internet for pressure washer troubleshooting and came up with the unloader valve possibly sticking. But before I buy a new valve I would like some opinions from anyone who actually knows something about pressure washers. Sorry this is not a tractor question, but I figure you guys would know and it might help others out too.

Thanks,
Terry

/ Any pressure washer experts? #2  
Mine will do that when the water intake screen gets dirty. I have to clean it out twice a year then it is fine again. The only difference is my motor will drop down but when I release the trigger it will come back up again except every so often I have to shut the motor down and then restart to get my pressure back.

But I would try cleaning that screen before spending any money on any parts first.

murph

ps: waiver, I am not an expert of any kind and do not gurantee any of the results above

/ Any pressure washer experts? #3  
Common problem. You don't need a new valve, just lubricate the old one. Use a water proof silicone grease. Take it out, grease it up and you're good to go. You can get the grease in plumbing areas of the home center.

Unlike "murph" my advice is guaranteed to get results. Un-fortunately, I don't guarantee that it will be positive results, benefitial results or even intended results...

jb

/ Any pressure washer experts?
john_bud said:
my advice is guaranteed to get results. Un-fortunately, I don't guarantee that it will be positive results, benefitial results or even intended results...

jb

I really like that line. May I use it?

Guys, thanks for the replies. I will check the screen and the valve and I feel confident one of those is my problem.

Terry

/ Any pressure washer experts? #5  
emmy71 said:
I really like that line. May I use it?

Terry

Sure, anytime you like. In fact you can "jump on that like a rat on a cheeto". Just remember - if ever we meet, it's a cold beverage payment plan....

/ Any pressure washer experts? #6  
Sounds like a water supply problem--either the water supply is not keeping up with your demand, or something is blocking your intake at the pressure washer...

This happens at work if I hook up to a spicket (?sp) that branches off from a supply to the laundry... supply gets split, 1st in line getting the lion's share.

If no one's drawing water on you, check at your hose attachment & work your way up.