Any Rotarians here?

/ Any Rotarians here? #11  
Our church (southern baptist), encourages participation in community groups (with perhaps the exception of the Masonic and then all of the "drinking clubs"). My problem is lack of time. Since am very active in our church and its' associated programs, there isn't much spare time or energy for anything else.

I live in a small town that is considered part of the KC metro. In the 30 years I lived here, the only organization that has "solicited" me for membership has be our local Chamber of Commerce, and one of the "drinking clubs" in the city (FOE). Prior to living here, I came from a small county seat town in a rural part of north Missouri. The Jaycees and Rotary were active and recruiting, along with the Moose (they could throw a mean party!)

I think the urban sprawl and changes in workplace has been a contributing factor in the decline. Main Street USA is all but dead, thanks in a large part to the Waltons. With the vacation of the business districts to the shopping centers at the edge of town - our idyllic lifestyle post WWII has evolved (or devolved) to its current state.

My neighbors leave for work at 6, and don't get home till after six. 500 channels of mainly crap to watch once they get home, and of course the internet. Kids and sports, another trip into the city to play the tournament, and then of course - have to head to the lake with the boat come Friday night. "Life" has gotten too busy for most people to share their time and talents.

Oh, and the busy part I described up above has been, and to some extent still is me. I decided to make time for church, then the remainder I spend with family...