Any Sparkies? I need wiring help

/ Any Sparkies? I need wiring help #1  

jigs_n_fixtures

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T233
I am going to wire some auxiliary lights, and solenoid driven diverter valves. The wiring will be exposed to sun and weather. Is SJOOTW, or SOOTW a suitable wire? Or do you have better recommendations?

And on wire sizing: How do you size wiring for LED lights? I sized wire for the tiny truck’s lights, based on the purported Wattages of the lights, divided that by ten to get Amps, and was way oversize, once I got everything wired and hooked up an ammeter, the actual draw was way low, and my wiring was way oversized. Which is Ok but kind of frustrating.

/ Any Sparkies? I need wiring help #2  
The SJOO would be a 300 volt wire while the SOO would be 600 volt. The W indicates it's for wet locations. I'd check the LED current draw with an ammeter. The wattage rating tends to be for incandescent equivalent lights and may be four times the actual power consumed. If it's on a tractor divide power by twelve to get current rating. Remember the solenoids have quite an initial draw. I'd rate the fuses at about double the expected draw and use slow blows.

/ Any Sparkies? I need wiring help #3  
You'll need a wire with a UV rating for sun exposure. Or a cover, race, and conduit to run in if not UV rated.

/ Any Sparkies? I need wiring help #4  
General like to use split loom cover on exposed wiring and not have to worry about insulation type (use whatever is in wire drawer).... And also give wires a little protection....

1711593251704.png

/ Any Sparkies? I need wiring help #5  
General like to use split loom cover on exposed wiring and not have to worry about insulation type (use whatever is in wire drawer).... And also give wires a little protection....

View attachment 859295
I'm sorry but that stuff is piss poor for wire protection.

Here's a good marine grade copper wire with a good coating that's made in the US and wont break the bank.

Also LED lights and a diverter valve draw very little power so 14ga wire should be fine.

/ Any Sparkies? I need wiring help #6  
I use 14/2 direct bury Romex wire on my tractors.

/ Any Sparkies? I need wiring help #7  
I like to use SJ type cords for tractor and trailer wiring there are several variants available, I've even been know to buy extension cords to use for wiring things up.
Here is some good information on the various types of cords.
1711649938908.png

/ Any Sparkies? I need wiring help #8  
   / Any Sparkies? I need wiring help
Thanks guys. Need to start pricing, and researching a bit more. Have to go out of town for a few weeks, so the project is going on hold for a bit.