/ any suggestion for remote appraisal? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
As I've been saying for a year or so I'm looking for a truck:
Diesel
4X4
as low miles as I can afford ($15 to $20K)
to tow my ride and yet to be bought stuff.

Can any one recommend some type of INDEPENDENT appraisor that I'm liable to find throughout the states?

Something I can be DANG sure that the appraisal/evaluation isn't being done by the owners BIL. Sorta of like an independent Jewelry appraisal.

I wouldn't mind paying a hundred to save 5 thousand.

For instance the latest I'm looking at is in South Carolina, 500 miles 1 way.
Asking price from the owner is 12K, KBB is 8K.

thanks

If only there was a Barlows for trucks :(

/ any suggestion for remote appraisal? #2  
What I have done is say its a Ford. Do a google search and find the nearest Ford dealer. Call them and see if they have a works service package. Have the owner take it to the dealer and you pay for the service via your credit card over the phone and have them fax you a condition report. We did this with a Lincoln Aviator and it worked well. Worst case you are out $100 and the owner gets his oil changed, tires rotated, brakes inspected, and a general inspected on the rest of the truck.

Chris

/ any suggestion for remote appraisal? #3  
What I have done is say its a Ford. Do a google search and find the nearest Ford dealer. Call them and see if they have a works service package. Have the owner take it to the dealer and you pay for the service via your credit card over the phone and have them fax you a condition report. We did this with a Lincoln Aviator and it worked well. Worst case you are out $100 and the owner gets his oil changed, tires rotated, brakes inspected, and a general inspected on the rest of the truck.

Chris

That is a great idea. If it is a Dealer that I am buying from, I usually check with the Chamber of Commerce in his hometown to verify his past business practices and reputation. Ken Sweet.

/ any suggestion for remote appraisal?
Thanks, I had thought of that, but at least in my "rural" sites (Fulton, Ms and Vermont) there is a lot of "loyalty to the local".

Tractor House (?) seems to have a system for appraising equipment, and I found 1 site that is on the web, but they want $400+ per vehicle, which is a little steep for a $10 K ride.