Any suggestions for a good knife?

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
I'm looking for a high quality knife to carve roasts and poultry. I have a set, can't remember the brand, that's nice that came with it's own block but I often find I like my 40 year old US made wooden handle "Hi Test" carving knife better. But the old girl is getting old so I thought I would look to see what's out there. After a short period of time of looking and I realized that I really don't know much about them. I would think a forged blade would be better than a stamped one. But some blades have a hollow edge. Would a slicing knife be better than a carving knife? What about a Japanese carving or slicing knife? Anyway tell me what you know.

In the future I would like to get a big green egg. So while I do some now I can see myself buying large chucks of cryovaced meat. Right now I use my trusty knife to cut raw meat as well as cooked. Is there a different type of knife used for cutting raw vs cooked? I think the knife I use now is 7", I don't think I would want any smaller.

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #2  
Wusthof. Their Classic series has several styles of carving knives. Expensive, but not overly so. Wusthof - CLASSIC Around $100 for the model 4522.

Henckels is a bit overrated now. Plus they have getting blanks from overseas and just finishing them in Germany.

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #3  
Speaking of old knives I had a bunch sitting around from kitchen to fishing and hunting and finally broke down and bought a real nice knife sharpener.
The edge pro apex I highly recommend, It has brought all those old to life. Sharper than the day I bought them. Larry

Edge Pro Apex Knife Sharping System 1 - YouTube

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #5  
Speaking of old knives I had a bunch sitting around from kitchen to fishing and hunting and finally broke down and bought a real nice knife sharpener.
The edge pro apex I highly recommend, It has brought all those old to life. Sharper than the day I bought them. Larry

Looks like it works good, but too much trouble for me. I've got an electric knife sharpener that stays on the counter ready to use anytime I need it and it works very good. Razor sharp after I use it.

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #6  
Wusthof. Their Classic series has several styles of carving knives. Expensive, but not overly so. Wusthof - CLASSIC Around $100 for the model 4522.

Henckels is a bit overrated now. Plus they have getting blanks from overseas and just finishing them in Germany.

I have a Wusthof Classic. Its the only decent knife in our kitchen.

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #7  
I've got an old knife, handed down to mom from grandma and then from mom to me. I was told it's german steel and stained real bad, but I've never sharpened it and I dont know if mom ever did either. I was too big so I bought a kikuichi 6" chefs knife.

Wedge

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #8  

Never seen that before.

But it does look like it would work well. But I'm old fashion and I like free handing with a stone. Never had any issues getting a quality knife to shave:thumbsup: That think looks kinda cumbersome to set-up and get used to.

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #9  
My wife uses Cutco knifes.Lifetime warrenty,you ship them the knife and they sharpen them for free.

/ Any suggestions for a good knife? #10  
My wife uses Cutco knifes.Lifetime warrenty,you ship them the knife and they sharpen them for free.

I assume you have to pay the shipping?? That can get expensive and time consuming after awhile.

Lots quicker to take it to the stone a few strokes and be done