Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover?

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover? #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I would really like to put a roll-n-lock on my new truck but I must have a fuel tank to fuel equipment. I know they make auxiliary tanks that fit under a cover but does anyone make a transfer tank that will? The pump would have to.be mounted low for it to work. I don't need huge capacity 50 gal would be plenty. I don't care how far back it goes as long as I can use gooseneck.

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover? #2  
This is going to be tough because even if you find a tank that fits under the sides of the bed, the pump is going to add another 12" or so of additional height. You might look at tanks that have a port at the bottom of the tank to tap your pump. However, if your tank is full, it's going to put pressure on the pump and it might leak. Another option is to get a custom made tank that is low and wide. A 50 gal tank is 24"x24"24. Change these dimensions to accommodate your bed with room for a pump.

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover?
Yes I know that part will be tricky.

The pumps do not necessarily have to thread into the 2" bung in top of the tank though. You can run a pipe or maybe even a hose to the pump and mount it remotely. I have seen farm tanks with a pipe coming out the bottom of the tank, making a 90 and then going up to the pump. I think you are right though it might leak if the pump was not above the fuel level. I guess that could be remedied with a ball valve.

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover? #4  
Check these guys out.

In-Bed Fuel Tanks - Transfer Flow, Inc. - Aftermarket Fuel Tank Systems

I use a 50 gallon tank in my truck. Like the low profile and low pump. They make a tank specifically for your intended use if mine isn't low enough.

20140414_155325 (1280x720) (1280x720).jpg

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover? #6  
Transfer flow should be able to help you out. They used to make one that sat 4" off the floor so you could still get a 4x8 plywood in and just under the cover. Retrax also makes a rolling cover to sit in front of a fuel tank. Hope this helps.

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover? #7  
Not sure where to find a picture, but my brother had an L tank in his truck that was level with the box sides and had a tool box built in on top of the L part. The tool box was around a foot shorter on one end and the pump was mounted down in there. I have a vinyl top on my pickup and when I bought it the place I bought it from said they could custom make them to fit any length I wanted. Ok I found it. Not the exact one but same idea.
image-1096825151.jpg image-165582863.jpg

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover? #8  
IMG_1221.JPG

50gal transfer flow, installed myself, really nice unit and good wiring harness. The nozzle sucks but a replacement can be had for 55$ on amazon.

While we're on this topic, what is everybody's consensus on a filter? I personally don't have one as I use biocide and keep my tank full and get good fuel here in Texas.

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover? #9  
View attachment 488625

50gal transfer flow, installed myself, really nice unit and good wiring harness. The nozzle sucks but a replacement can be had for 55$ on amazon.

While we're on this topic, what is everybody's consensus on a filter? I personally don't have one as I use biocide and keep my tank full and get good fuel here in Texas.

I have the same tank, love it, beats the crap out of using jugs.

I added a filter. I'm very particular about fuel quality.

/ Any transfer tanks that will fit under a bed cover? #10  
I would definitely go with a filter if you are using it for your pickup. A lot of the guys around here that use their trucks for hauling fuel to their machines also fill up out of them. Sooner or later crud gets in there and causes problems.