Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch?

/ Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch? #1  

iplumb

Gold Member
Tractor
B2920
Just getting ready to install a couple culverts in our woods on our Golf cart/ Tractor trails. Just checking to see if there is anything I haven't thought about. Tricks to keep them fee flowing and clean.

/ Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch? #2  
If two culvert going to be connected pack dirt/gravel,might consider slight angle facing directing water inwards..most suppliers sell facing.

/ Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch? #3  
How wide of a culvert or path do you need? What size of creek/stream are you crossing? Is this a commonly traveled path or just used sometimes?

I ask these because if you use it regularly, you want to probably double it in width, that way you don't have to slow down or bat at eye at crossing it. Our driveway has a 20 foot tin horn in it for a creek crossing, as the water ran down our driveway and flowed into the creek, it eroded our ends. I had to put a 6 foot extension on each end, while it was in the creek and a slow trickle ran through it. Trust me, its easier just to buy it a bit longer and you wont regret it.

Also, I would shore up the ends and top layer. If its not that deep, some friends of mine just bought bags of Quik Crete and stacked them 2 wide at an angle on either side and then drove long rebar sticks into them to anchor them to the ground. The had to "wing wall" the ends b/c even small rains would wash out their culvert and then they couldnt access their horses. Good luck and send pics of the project!

/ Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch? #4  
Just getting ready to install a couple culverts in our woods on our Golf cart/ Tractor trails. Just checking to see if there is anything I haven't thought about. Tricks to keep them fee flowing and clean.

Before you install a steel culvert sight the thing so you can work with any bowing. Remember to pitch a culvert at least an inch of fall for every 10' of length . In theory the bottoms of the inlet side should be your your new high water mark. What really happens is that level rises wih sand and debris. If you have beavers in your way, all bets are off.

rim

/ Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch? #5  
Two good suggestions already, make it long enough and having the inlet the new high water mark.

A std. 20' culvert placed at even a slight angle to the driveway, plus slope from the driveway down to the culvert ends, will reduce your usable width down to 12' pretty easily.

I find it helpful to make a pool at each end of the culvert, about 18" to 24" deep. This allows a place for debris to collect without building up inside the culvert. If you have a backhoe, it's easy to scoop these out every couple years. Hand shovel otherwise, still easier than cleaning the culvert. You should never have to worry about the culvert filling up with sediment.

I would bed the culvert on 1" to 3" crushed stone such that it is well supported along the bottom and will remain true. This is also easy to grade to your slope consistently before placing the culvert. Fill in along the sides and over the culvert with crushed stone also before putting on heavier stuff.
Dave.

/ Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch?
Now you have me wondering if these will be wide enough? I was going to buy a 2nd or beat up dented but new culvert from the manufacture. It' 15" x 18' I was going to have them cut it in half. So I would end up with two 9'

These are just low area's that naturally flow into the creek in the spring and fall. They will be 18" deep max. Should I go wider? Our bridge we built is only 7' wide and works out great.

These are just low areas that people spill their beer on while bumping through on the golf cart. Not a problem for the quads or tractor. Sometimes it's nice to stay out of the mud:laughing:

/ Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch? #7  
If going to the trouble to put in a culvert, I would make it wide enough for the widest thing I would own to cross it.

When you say 18" deep max., does that mean you only plan on 3" of cover over the 15" culvert? Or, the top of the culvert will be 18" below the driving surface?

3" of cover I don't think is going to work out too well.
Dave.

/ Any tricks to setting a Culvert in a ditch? #8  
See the Gravel Road Maintenance Manual put out by the State of Maine. There's a real good section on sizing and installing culverts starting at Page 52.

Obed