Anybody build a 'holz hausen'?

/ Anybody build a 'holz hausen'? #1  

dholly

Platinum Member
Tractor
B7610HST
Don't know how effective it really is, but it looks like a neat idea. Supposedly can take your green wood to seasoned firewood in only 3 months. If I had stumbled upon this before splitting and stacking about 6 face cord last weekend I would have given it a try! Anybody?

Link here >>> "Build a Holz Hausen"

/ Anybody build a 'holz hausen'? #2  
I never even heard of a Holz Hausen although I do have an Olhausen.:D

/ Anybody build a 'holz hausen'? #3  
I just stack the split wood on pallets. :D The first two years I would move the pallets to the house but we will not do that this year due to landscaping and messiness issues. According to a G'vement website, the length of the firewood determines how long it will take to dry. The shorter the faster. Still being in the round only slightly limits the speed of drying. The wood I cut up last Jan/Feb seems well checked and dried. I have been too busy moving the wood to where I'll split it this year to actually split some rounds and see how dry it really is inside.

The pallet of split wood from Feb is really dry and ready to go. I try to keep the wood about 16 inches long.

Later,
Dan

/ Anybody build a 'holz hausen'? #4  
dholly said:
Don't know how effective it really is, but it looks like a neat idea. Supposedly can take your green wood to seasoned firewood in only 3 months. If I had stumbled upon this before splitting and stacking about 6 face cord last weekend I would have given it a try! Anybody?

Link here >>> "Build a Holz Hausen"

Mornin dholly,
If its a GERMAN idea its got to be good :) I cut my rounds at 16 to 18" and split. They seem to dry nicely in 8 to 10 months. Maybe when I retire and have some time it might be worth a try :) Thanks for the link !

/ Anybody build a 'holz hausen'?
Well I guess I'm nervous that I didn't get to setting up my supply a little earlier. Normally I cut felled or standing dead and seasoning isn't a big issue, but much of what I just split was taken down live within the past month. I helped out a buddy clearing a new homesite and he was real happy to have me cart off a bunch of big rounds as a token of his appreciation. And, no doubt, not to have to split them himself! Red and white oak, black walnut, elm and maple good burning stuff but, realistically, I doubt it'll be ready to burn by December. Sooo... I suppose I could restack what I got holz hausen style and hope that dries in 3-4 months, or just go cut another couple/few cords of the dry stuff to buy another month or two of drying time for the stuff just split. Probably better just go sharpen the chains now...