Anybody Else Notice This?

/ Anybody Else Notice This? #1  

Username Taken

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510 HST
My tractor starts and charges fine but I've noticed that, if I watch the alternator gauge, it takes a minute or three before it starts to show that it's charging.

I suspect it has a delay. Like how some cars do. Some cars delay the activation of the alternator for some reason or another. Don't know why, they just do.

But I listened to it really closely a few times and I can definitely hear the difference when the gauge starts to show a charge. I can hear and feel when the alternator kicks on. Usually takes between 1 and 3 minutes.

And that's what gets me. Why the difference in delays?? All I can figure is, the tractor's computer senses when it needs to start charging after a start and sends a signal to the alternator.

Just curious if I need to get a trailer somewhere and take it into the Dealer before my warranty runs out in June. I'm in Florida and my tractor is in Michigan so, there's that. And for the Dealer to pick it up and drop it off is going to be at least $100 each way, I just about guarantee.

Or maybe I should just drive it.

Anybody??

/ Anybody Else Notice This? #2  
My tractor starts and charges fine but I've noticed that, if I watch the alternator gauge, it takes a minute or three before it starts to show that it's charging.

I suspect it has a delay. Like how some cars do. Some cars delay the activation of the alternator for some reason or another. Don't know why, they just do.

But I listened to it really closely a few times and I can definitely hear the difference when the gauge starts to show a charge. I can hear and feel when the alternator kicks on. Usually takes between 1 and 3 minutes.

And that's what gets me. Why the difference in delays?? All I can figure is, the tractor's computer senses when it needs to start charging after a start and sends a signal to the alternator.

Just curious if I need to get a trailer somewhere and take it into the Dealer before my warranty runs out in June. I'm in Florida and my tractor is in Michigan so, there's that. And for the Dealer to pick it up and drop it off is going to be at least $100 each way, I just about guarantee.

Or maybe I should just drive it.

Anybody??
We are a little confused by your "Alternator Gauge". The CX2510 does not have an Alternator Gauge. The instrument cluster includes a Fuel Gauge and a Temperature Gauge. The alternator charge is indicated by the Dummy Light you see when the key is turned to on. You may be confusing the temperature gauge as a charge gauge??

Just a thought.

/ Anybody Else Notice This?
We are a little confused by your "Alternator Gauge". The CX2510 does not have an Alternator Gauge. The instrument cluster includes a Fuel Gauge and a Temperature Gauge. The alternator charge is indicated by the Dummy Light you see when the key is turned to on. You may be confusing the temperature gauge as a charge gauge??

Just a thought.
Okay, sorry, you're right. No excuse, guess I'm just getting old.

My Tach, once the engine starts, just stays around 800 or so RPM or so. Stays there.

Then after a minute or three it jumps up to show the correct RPM and I can hear/feel a change in the engine tone that tells me the alternator just kicked in.

/ Anybody Else Notice This? #4  
One off topic thing I've noticed is...there always seem to be more people going into Walmart than coming out...but the meat prices are low so I don't say anything...!

/ Anybody Else Notice This? #6  
What RPM's setting when you let the tractor warm up?

/ Anybody Else Notice This?
What RPM's setting when you let the tractor warm up?
I try to keep the throttle where the RPM will be between 1,200 and 1,500 when I start it up. Once the Tach decides it wants to work. Sometimes I reduce the throttle after a few moments once I feel like the oil (I use 5w-40 full syn) is circulating well. Then, after a few minutes, the tach starts working which, I believe, is attributed to the alternator kicking on.

Sorry I didn't describe what was happening in my OP. My bad, senior moment.

Really not worried about it too awful much. More curious than anything. But I think it's got something to do with the delay or whether or not it's a 1 wire, 2 wire or 3 wire alternator. None of which I really understand.

I also wonder whether or not the alternator is delayed if the Glow Plugs are working...?? Maybe the glow plugs work even after the start and the CPU kicks the alternator off to prevent an overload...?? But it happens on every start, not just cold starts. It is, I believe, less noticeable the warmer the engine gets. I think.

weird

I admit that I'm a rook at this stuff

/ Anybody Else Notice This? #8  
Check and see if you blown the alternator fuse that will cause a delay in the alternator showing charge.

/ Anybody Else Notice This? #9  
I’d guess the alternator doesn’t have a time delay where it waits a few minutes to kick on.
I’d guess your battery is getting weaker, and drains itself more on starts.
I’d guess it’s either a load turning off (glow plugs?), or the battery gets drained on start up and the system voltage is low the first few minutes as the recharging battery is consuming most of the load from the alternator. This temporarily dips the system voltage below the voltage the tachometer needs to work at.
Weak batteries often only draw a lot of charging current for a minute or two and then appear to be fully charged, and won’t take any more current.
Or maybe it’s something else totally unrelated…

Last edited:
   / Anybody Else Notice This? #10  
Maybe take a drive up to your tractor and plug in a battery maintainer, then return home. Leave it a week and then return to your tractor and see if there’s any change or an improvement. If it’s not any better simply go back home and call the dealer to explain the issue. If they want to see it in their shop why not return to the tractor and simply drive it over to them so that they can check out the alternator gauge or temperature gauge or the battery or the tach….🤷😉 That will save you the $200 delivery fee.