Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast?

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #1  

pengs68

Bronze Member
Tractor
FARMALL M, FORD 4600, FORD 2000
I am in Albany, NY and have only been able to put up hay 2 days this season. We are stuck in an awful weather pattern with showers almost every day. How's the weather been for making hay in other parts of the Northeast?

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #2  
It hasn't been any better over here in WNY

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #3  
Going to try again this week. They have called for thunder storms every night for the last 3 weeks. We also put hay up only twice. It sure is getting late, time to start chancing it. About 6000 bales of first left for us, I guess we'll have to do some round bales to make up some lost time.

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #4  
we've only been able to put in about the same had a good stretch of about 3days, back in mid june got about 1/2 of mine done. was out in wetsern ny this past weekend and looks like they've had about the same as down my way, many fields weren't cut yet lots of brown tops, fortunatly the bottoms still green. only looked like everyone had done silage, or silage bales though. maybe this week will break down here, about tuesday. i'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast?
A lot of people around me cut for Wednesday. They had me checking 6 different forecasts. The most popular station in the area was the only one predidicting good days so I held off. Now it looks like that was a good idea with black clouds and a high percentage of showers for today. I am anxious to get cutting with the Orchard grass turning brown.

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #6  
Simple answer, no, none. Haven't cut anything yet and the weather is calling for thunder showers everyday or every other day for the foreseable future.:(

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #7  
Just North of Atgreene. All we've been able to do is silage bales. Looks like we might get a three day stretch starting on Friday. I sure hope so.

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #8  
well last evening we cut about 5ac or so and today dodged some thunderstorms that were in the state by about 20 miles or so. plan to rake and bale tomorrow afternoon. the top is a bit brown ,but the bottom is nice and thick and green. keeping my fingers crossed for a good day tomorrow.

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #9  
Been terrible right up into eastern Canada too, lost the stuff I cut in June. Neighbours squeaked in a few hundred bales on a day that was supposed to rain.

Silage guys have been fine. I get jealous watching them go!

/ Anybody got hay weather in the Northeast? #10  
I wish I could trade farms with some of you sometimes. Here I've been dealing with a desert climate and irrigating 24 hours a day. Sometimes it rains enough where I don't have to but not often. I have been ready to cut for a week now but my new tractor has been in the shop getting the injector pump rebuilt. I'm really hoping it comes back in a couple hours so I can get everything cut. I'm hurting bad to sell some hay!
We have a 10-20 % chance of rain now for the rest of the week but if it does come it will be spotty at best. We've been under a 50% chance for most of the last two weeks and didn't get a drop. Two of my neighbors though had a storm cloud park right on top of them last saturday and dump 6 inches. I had my sprinklers going the whole time.