Traction Anybody have any pointers for using the differential lock on a L3200?

/ Anybody have any pointers for using the differential lock on a L3200? #1  

noller9

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 Gear Model
Hey All,

I have a 2013 Kubota L3200 Gear Drive and when trying to apply the diff-lock I slip off the throttle while trying to put pressure on the diff lock arm. The throttle is on the same side as the diff-lock and I can't engage them at the same time.

I usually use the steering column throttle control but struggle to gauge the RPM's in the instant that I need it (kinda stiff).

Any Nifty ideas other than growing a bigger foot?

Thanks

noller9

/ Anybody have any pointers for using the differential lock on a L3200? #2  
I have a L3200 hst, so only partially relevant... I always hit the did lock early so it locks up before things start slipping & spinning. Less shock when it locks up that way. Not always possible with unexpected traction issues though.

Not sure how the gear is setup, but my hst go pedal is on the right & the diff lock is in the left. Shouldn't be much call for clutching & diff lock at the same time.

/ Anybody have any pointers for using the differential lock on a L3200? #3  
I have a geared L3010 and use the diff lock quite a bit. I am working in the woods. I set my speed by choosing a gear and then set the hand throttle for the minimum rpm/speed/power I need. That leaves my right foot available to operate the steering brakes or the diff lock. I usually just sit there with both feet on the floor boards. If the going is good, then the right foot is available to step on the throttle for more speed. I would think it would be very difficult to use the diff lock and foot throttle simultaneously as you have described and try to set the hand throttle on the fly. Set your hand throttle first.

I try to anticipate ahead of time and operate the diff lock before I really need it as it should not be applied while one tire is slipping and the other stopped.

hope this helps

gg

/ Anybody have any pointers for using the differential lock on a L3200?
So apply pressure to the diff lock and then throttle away?

So my question should be how does one operate the diff lock on a L-3200? and if applying pressure to the diff lock arm engages it then one can lay off the diff lock arm and throttle up at will?

Next question is how long does it stay on? Dang where is that manual when you need it?

/ Anybody have any pointers for using the differential lock on a L3200? #6  
Not sure I understand your question. If you set the hand throttle and are going along at a steady 2000 rpm, say, (not using the foot throttle) then apply the diff lock. Once it is engaged and while you are holding it down with your heal there is no reason you can't reach down and move the hand throttle to give you more or less speed. Just do one thing at a time though. Engage the diff lock while you are running steady then change speed if you want. Remember though, generally steady going will get you through a bad spot better than trying to speed up.
Did that answer work ?

/ Anybody have any pointers for using the differential lock on a L3200? #7  
You asked another question while I was typing.

The diff lock stays on until the lever pops back up. Generally that is as soon as you release it but sometimes it will stay on if you are still in slippery going and it will pop up later when you get in firm going. If you want it to come up when it is stuck down just hit a steering brake.

Also don't use the diff lock while turning.

Gordon,
Yes that is how I have been doing it. Not too bad. From your previous post I got the idea that I can heal down on the diff lock and let go and it will stay on. I do have to keep pressure on the lever to keep it engaged?

I see that anticipating the need ahead of time is the right medicine for the diff lock. Get the right RPMs step it down and hold it through the tough spot.

Now I want to go out and try to move this monster stump that stopped me today. There is a mighty big moon out there should see just fine.

thanks

noller9

me too. I got it now. Time to practice