Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD?

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #241  
Ford does build a nice truck though. You just need to buy one of the blown up one's cheap and put a Cummins in it.
We've got some blown up 2012 6.7 Powerstrokes around here too. Anybody want to buy one? The interiors are nice, LOL.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #242  
I have a new truck now, but still own my '03 F250 CC FX4 6.0 with 251,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 28,000 miles on it in the Summer of '06. I didn't find out until after I bought it that it's considered the worst engine ever in the history of the universe. I've always worried. But it never let me down until recently. Three months ago it FINALLY needed a couple of injectors.

xtn

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #243  
I have a new truck now, but still own my '03 F250 CC FX4 6.0 with 251,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 28,000 miles on it in the Summer of '06. I didn't find out until after I bought it that it's considered the worst engine ever in the history of the universe. I've always worried. But it never let me down until recently. Three months ago it FINALLY needed a couple of injectors.

xtn

Can't complain with that one. A couple injectors ain't bad with that mileage.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #244  
Ford does build a nice truck though. You just need to buy one of the blown up one's cheap and put a Cummins in it. We've got some blown up 2012 6.7 Powerstrokes around here too. Anybody want to buy one? The interiors are nice, LOL.

A nice Cummins/Duramax candidate!

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #245  
Quote from a Ford site about the new 6.7's:

I have just picked up my 2012 F-350 with the 6.7 litre diesel from the dealer for the second time in about 3 weeks. What's the problem? I'm glad you asked.These trucks have 4 EGT sensors on the exhaust system that are failing between 50,000 and 70,000 miles. When they fail and they do without any warning whatsoever, you are dead in the water. The truck will start to shift down until you reach a creep speed and then shut off. You can't start it again without the Ford dealer overriding the system and clearing a code. Even so it will immediately happen again and again until the affected sensor is replaced. An aftermarket code reader will not clear the fault code. It was described to me by the mechanic yesterday as a hard code that only a Ford tech can clear. The sensors are about $60 apiece and the labor is about $300. If you have 50,000+ miles on your truck, I highly reccommend that you make a beeline to the nearest Ford dealer and get it done. You will have to pay for it as the warranty doesn't cover the repair, but you will avoid getting left high and dry at a most unexpected location. You will save a tow bill too.About three weeks ago at 10:30 pm my daughter was shut down on I-35 in Oklahoma while pulling a loaded trailer. She had to wait until we could get it towed off the highway. I'm just glad her cell phone had a connection so she could call for help. One sensor was replaced and the truck sent out the door.Yesterday I was driving and pulled up to the fuel pump. Filled the truck, got in, started it up normally without any codes or warnings and put it in drive. The truck took off and immediately shut down. I had moved forward about 10 feet. Once again I had to call and have it towed to the nearest dealer. This time I told them to replace the remaining 3 sensors that hadn't been replaced. The service manager told me that they were seeing these trucks come in with a bad sensor between 50,000 - 70,000 miles. He has some customers that are now carrying extra sensors with them. I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to replace them on the side of the road somewhere, but I guess at least a Ford mechanic could be called and save a tow bill if you had an extra sensor with you.Ford is likely to get a lawsuit over this once someone looses their life because of this failure and forced shutdown. It is very dangerous and cannot be overridden to "limp in". I like the truck and the engine, but I sure don't like the forced shutdown when a sensor fails without warning.Remember, you have now been warned. I hope you take notice and don't get caught like myself and so many others.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #246  
Good point... I've done arbitration cases in the past where a vehicle would just shut down and most ended up being a buyback by the third time and who can blame the them?

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #247  
Keep an eye on your ECT/EOT temps on the 6.0. Diamond Pilot and Dargo more than likely your oil cooler is already plugged, you just don't know it yet.

I agree on bulletproofing them and then they are a great engine. Just have to fix the issues that Ford didn't.

BTW: My oil cooler on my 6.0 has been fixed twice. The first time Ford paid, the 2nd time I did.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD?
Well, I thought I'd wrap up my experience over 6 years and over 100k miles of using the 6.0 PSD. After that initial 'correct' fix of some skirt gasket and taking the advice of the diesel tech and having him install the ARP head studs and making the EGR valve MIA, I never had a single issue with the truck again while I owned it. I put a bit over 100,000 miles on it after that and I'd say that I was pulling between 15k to 20k behind it most times it moved. I ended up with the need for a larger truck and came across a 1999 F550 4X4 with a 7.3 PSD and 122k miles on it, so I bought it. My '06 F350 just sat around, so after mentioning I was going to sell it, I literally sold it for almost $1000 MORE than I paid for it back in 2008! Overall, I can't say that I'm the least bit displeased with the 6.0 PSD based on my experience. I did have to have an oil leak fixed early on under warranty and spent nearly $500 for those ARP head studs and EGR delete, but I got over 100k miles and 7 years use out of the truck and sold it for more than I paid for it. IMHO, it's hard to do better than that!

Now I have an old '92 Dodge SRW 1 ton pickup with the 12v Cummins in it that is the only 2wd (I did add a Detroit Locker to it) I think I've ever owned. It's plenty ugly, but starts as soon as I bump the key and purrs like it's brand new. It's 100% stock with extremely low miles on it and it wasn't even licensed for almost 15 years during which it never left the farm the previous owner had. I guess it's going to be my backup truck and likely my youngest son's first vehicle when he gets his license. I do have a "mystery" issue with the 1999 F550 though. Sometimes it will leave a puddle of antifreeze under the engine after being parked for a week or two and other times I can run it hard and let it sit for weeks and there isn't a drop on the concrete under it. Since I've never seen it leak, it is beyond me to figure out where it is leaking; somewhere up front either from the radiator area or the very front of the engine. Being that I've only seen the coolant on the floor and never even a spot on the engine, I have no clue where it is escaping. Oh well, I feel reasonably sure I'll eventually find it one way or another.

Anyway, that wraps up a 6 year and 100,000 mile ownership of an '06 F350 that, to be honest, was quite possibly the best truck ownership I've ever had. I know that seems to run contrary to what a lot of people post on the internet, but I can only report on what I've personally experienced. Those who know me know I'm not shy about telling it like it is, so that truck was a darn good one. I hope my '99 F550 with the 7.3 PSD will be remotely as close to as good as my experience with my '06 6.0 PSD was. It's older, but has lower miles on it. Oh, it too has had no modifications to the engine; just like the old '92 Dodge with the purring 5.9 Cummins. I've had both for less than a year, so I'm afraid to brag ANY on them at this point. Time will tell if they are just as good as the '06 6.0 PSD ownership experience. I sure hope so. Both seem to have rave reviews on the internet. I'm afraid with my luck, they will both be terrible after I had fantastic service out of an engine that most seem to despise.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #249  
I'll add to that that my 6.0 psd had some oil leak at the filter housing area fixed under warranty the first month. now has over 130K miles on it, and has has an egr rebuild kit ( under 200$ for the labor and kit ).. and that's it. mine is an 04. I've never had the engine apart..

i also have a couple 99 7.3's 350 and 450. minor bits of work on them, some of it self induced. :) over 200k on those engines.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #250  
My 06 F350 6L is still 100% trouble free with the exception of the dash cluster replaced under warranty early on due to an inaccurate fuel gauge.

Chris