Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit?

/ Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit? #31  
Be sure to run some Cat 6, RG6 or fiber at the same time. Might as well have net.

/ Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit? #32  
Totally different trench style if you go that route. Wires need to be separated or you risk degradation in the Ethernet side of things.

/ Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit? #33  
Yep, but a 16" bucket will get you enough separation. Run the electrical on one side, and the telecom on the other side.

/ Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit? #34  
Yep all the talk above was with regards to renting a trencher. Something I would never do again! For about the same price you can rent a mini ex or hire it done. With that, a 12-16" bucket would be great! I just didn't want someone throwing the two conduits on top of each other and then wondering why the internet sucked!

/ Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit?
Here's a picture of the area I was talking about (you can barely see my power cable on the ground).

IMG_8092.jpg

I sort of see a path where I can probably get a walk-behind trencher through, although it would be a struggle. Will scope it out a bit more and try to decide. I'll definitely need to trench for the first 20' from my house to the edge of the woods regardless, so that has me leaning towards trenching the whole thing.

/ Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit? #37  
Yeah, that'll be fun. :) Run a bush hog through first, and use a riding trencher or a small backhoe, and you'll be glad you put that underground.
Yep I went back through that with a bush hog lifting up so it's kind of half on top of the brush and lowering it down to shred it all. Then run through again with the bush hog all the way down to chop up what's left and make it a little easier to get through. Then I would dig the trench with either a walk behind tracked trencher, a backhoe or a ride-on trencher. I would not use a walk behind wheeled trencher as you will be cursing and very unhappy before you get 50 feet in.

Aaron Z

/ Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit?
As I mentioned in in the first post, I can't clear or disturb trees/brush in this area at all due to wetlands restrictions, which was the main reason I was considering above ground conduit. I had to trench through similar land to run power to my pier, and it was a major struggle. But it's really the only option I have -- either trench with a walk behind unit and struggle, or not trench.

/ Anybody run power cable above ground in conduit? #40  
As I mentioned in in the first post, I can't clear or disturb trees/brush in this area at all due to wetlands restrictions, which was the main reason I was considering above ground conduit. I had to trench through similar land to run power to my pier, and it was a major struggle. But it's really the only option I have -- either trench with a walk behind unit and struggle, or not trench.

I don't get what you're saying. Is all disturbance of vegetation prohibited, or is it ok to disturb "just a little"? Where I live all construction is prohibited in wetlands, there would be no legal way to run a cable at all, which is why I ask.

If "just a little" is allowed, then the question is what is the minimally disruptive way of running the cable that is code-legal. Code-legal ways of running the cable are:
* Overhead
* 24 inches below ground using direct-burial cable
* 18 inches below ground using PVC conduit
* 6 inches below ground using rigid metal conduit
* On the surface if attached to a structure

Overhead is the cheapest method, that's why power companies use it. But in your case it's going to require really tall poles to span that distance and keep the wire away from branches that you can't cut, it's probably not practical. Unless your inspector accepts something mickey-mouse like a t-post every 40 feet as a "structure" there is no way you're going to be able to build a structure that is less disruptive than going underground. Going underground, possible methods are:
* Horizontal boring
* hand trenching
* a small power trencher
* a big power trencher
* a backhoe

Those are in rough order of disruptiveness. According to Google horizontal trenching costs about $6/foot.