Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately?

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #11  
I'd like to see one of those hay monsters following my neighbor's baler around.

DSCF0049Small-1.jpg

They would be sure traffic-stoppers.

Got any more pictures or other information about your neighbor's self propelled baler? Looks like an interesting machine.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #12  
This is a Kent hay monster that my family and I use in Southeast Kansas. They were not as popular as the DewEze. When in high school and college my brother and I did alot of custom hauling, but we mainly just haul our own square bales now.
The advantage to these over the New Holland bale wagon is you can haul into any barn or loft, whereas with the bale wagon you pretty much need an open barn with clearance to dump.

Attachments

• hayhauling.JPG
    hayhauling.JPG
    747.4 KB · Views: 2,903
   / Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #13  
Maybe you guys can help me with some pieces I'm not sure if they are worth resurrecting.

Three photos below.

Number one and two is I think a conditioner

Number three is a bale tosser of some sort

Number four is hard to see because I was taking a picture of junk but in the middle back to the right is some sort of conveyor - I think for hay bales - I haven't worked my way back in there to get it out.

Any help on any of these pieces would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_3910.jpg
    IMG_3910.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_3863.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 769
   / Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #14  
Ahhhh. I have spent a summer or 3 on one. Our family has one. It has a chrysler industrial 318ci motor and 4 speed. 50 loaded? Doubt it, but it does get down the road with a load. Usually haul 175 bales a load and has done its job for many many years. 3 man crew, one driver and 2 stackers, driver unloads and when done u rotate spots. The barn stackin is the not so fun part. I will see about getting some pics of our beast. I will assure you ours is not as pretty as the one above. We take care of it, but paint it is not priority. We use ours every summer, it is currently in the field in northern oklahoma.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #15  
RVAITOR, picture #3 I believe is a Snowco square bale lifter to be used with wagons or trailers. I saw one a few years back at a used equipment jockies lot. I had to mess with it to try and figure it out. I figured out the principal of how it was supposed to work but do not know if they worked very good or not.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #16  
just put 100 square bales up yesterday using a Hay Monster. They're sure enough handy and pretty road worthy. One of the guys that helped me drove it 25 miles on the highway with 200 bales to unload it at his house. Can't say I wouldn't rather have a bale claw and accumulator, but the Hay Monster beats walking along next to a trailer and throwing them up.

One of my neighbors claims to have built the first one in this country out of a old school bus. I wouldn't put it past him, he's handy.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #17  
The Deweze haymonster was designed and built by a farmer named "Dewey" from Harper, Kansas. Harper is about an hour southwest of Wichita. Dewey was quite an ingenious guy and started developement of a line of mechanized farm and ranch equipment that's still built today. He was (is) the nicest guy you'd ever meet. The name "Deweze" either comes from "Dewey's" or from his name "Dewey" and "easy", I can't remember which. The Haymonster originates from the early to mid 70's. Deweze Mfg. was sold and is now known as Harper Industries. There's probably still a few of the Haymonsters still running around in southcentral Kansas to this day. Google either Deweze Mfg. or Harper Industries.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #18  
Well here is a pic of the family hay monster... Not near as pretty as the first one. This one has been kickin for quite sometime.

34509_1318125320263_1444650104_30697376_7583747_n.jpg

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #19  
Hi All - I have one and have been using it for about 15 years now. My neighbor owned it and when he retired I bought it from him. The two of us - he was 65+ and I was 45 - would put up about 50-60 tons of hay by ourselves. It is handy for pickign up out of the field, but the best part was unloading into a hay shed - thaty's where the boom really helps!

The guy that owned it before my neighbor here in WY, used to haul logs down from the mountains with it for fence rails. The story is that he would do 50-60 with a load of logs on it coming down the hill. I have had it out on the highway empty and have gotten up to around 45 but the front end gets a little squirley.

I am looking for a manual for it - if anyone out there has one I'd sure pay to get a copy!!

Thanks
Mark
rockintc@hotmail.com

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #20  
I was just playing around with google looking for some of dad's equipment and ran across your discussion here - couldn't help but respond even though it is a bit old. The hay wagon was designed and built by Raye Forpahl in the mid 60's. I don't remember "anything" about a school bus being used, don't think it was. The biggest thing I remember was that it took 2 people to run it; the driver and the person stacking the bales (that would be me) as we were running along; then up to the barn, the conveyor went up to the hayloft - as I was still on the trailer stacking onto the conveyor. Sure beat running along beside a trailer and throwing bales up on it. The haywagon became one of the many of my dad's machines that were and are being manufactured by Dewey's Manufacturing in Harper, Kansas. (Harper Industries) Dad also patented the articulation found in John Deere and other tractors today. It was first in a loader (I think early 60's), followed by the COMMANDER tractor (mid 60's). The COMMANDER was the tractor I learned to disc, etc., in when I was in high school. (It was uptown let me tell you - AC and AM/FM). Dewey Hostetler is currently manufacturing the slope mower that was built and patented shortly after a motorcycle trip we took one summer; watching the mowers on the interstate sliding down the side of the hill we had to pull off the road for coffee and to draw a safer, more practical mower for such things on a napkin. Dad drew on the dash of his truck, on the knees of his pants, wherever on whatever was available when these things came to his mind and then he built them. He also built Tucker's Speed Movers which he sold to Dale Tucker in Kiowa, Kansas, Shrine Cars for the Schriner's to drive in parades, a syrup wagon that I last heard was being produced some place in Pennsylvania, and the list goes on.

It was fun seeing the old haywagon. Lots of memories.

Last edited: