Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT?

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #101  
The backhoe itself does. The subframe has never been an issue - I’ll have to take a closer once my tractor is fully back together. The subframe is mainly two rails running from the loader posts back to the rear axle. I’ve never noticed them hung up on anything, and the paint is still in fairly good shape on them. I have dragged the belly pan a couple of times (once when I unexpectedly hit some deep mud), but that’s something I added, not part of the subframe.
Talk about dragging the belly...

I drove my new 3560 HSTC cab off the lot and loaded it on a trailer furnished (reluctantly) by the dealership. I had mentioned to the salesperson that the bottom of the backhoe would definitely hit the ground taking it up the ramp driving forward. He said "ahh it doesn't matter, every backhoe I've seen is torn up on the bottom from this".

Little did I realize (nor did he, that backing the tractor would still get it on the trailer, without tearing up the bottom of the Backhoe.

My thought looking back is it wasn't his machine nor his $52,500 so he didn't care, and wouldn't help point me in the right direction for the same reason.

Customer service... I understand it's difficult, but gee whiz!

Last edited:
   / Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #102  
That's design and ergonomics built together. Awesome to be able to leave the lower arms in the tractor. I did a video here on trying to mount the BH92 Backhoe on the Kubota 3560... just NO clearance at all with the 3 point left on.

Additionally, I've found that a top&tilt option for the Kubota isn't offered if you have a backhoe subframe. Again clearance issued prevent this. You would think that instead of designing a subframe, and then finding that other upgrade or additional offered updates to the hydraulic functionality are hindered by its design, that Kubota would have done a contentious design taking into consideration all they need to.
You can do the top just not the tilt w/ BH. My dealer takes the OEM TnT Kit and sells just the T.

C6ACFAB5-54D9-499B-9BE1-9729E2382E70.jpeg

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #103  
Is it the hydraulic remotes or the side link cylinder itself that interferes with the backhoe subframe? I can't really see what would interfere in that picture. Looking at the left sidelink lift arm, it looks as though you could just substitute a hydraulic cylinder there. Or is the upper attach point for the backhoe too close to it?

It does look crowded enough that you would have to take the lift arms off when installing the backhoe.

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #104  
I have a subframe backhoe on my Kubota b8200 and never plan to take it off. But here’s where it gets weird: I HAVE spent a fair bit of time thinking about putting some draw pins on the back of the backhoe frame and using pull type 3pt attachments with the backhoe in place!

I thought about that too. It would work for towed implements but doesn't do anything for 3pt ones.

Then I got to thinking about maybe coming up with a front 3pt hitch. After all, I don't do all that much 3pt work and half of what I do could be done by reversing the implement and using it on the front of the tractor. Gotta be easier than taking off the backhoe and then piss-anting those horribly heavy 3pt arms into position.

So my first try was do it the easy way.... The M59 has a really stout loader & frame (4000 lb lift) so I stopped by the dealer and bought a SSQA 3pt, dropped the FEL bucket, put the SSQA 3pt on the front, hooked the 3pt to my smallest 6 foot back blade, and reversed the blade. Then gave it a try.

Wow! No good at all! Danger !!

For one thing, the whole affair sticks out so far forward that the smallest adjustment to lift arms or bucket tilt makes that grader blade jump a foot or more. It's like trying to sign your name with a six foot pencil.

Secondly - and more importantly - The stress on the loader frame and arms is clearly way too high. They flex. Moving half an inch of topsoil going forward is probably possible dead slowly ....anything more than that - or hitting a rock - is going to bend and break things.
Thirdly, a 3pt has float built in. I hadn't thought of that. The 3pt arms go up freely - but my loader arms do not. I have to position the arms at just the right height and then engage float with the loader control - which drops the arms a few inches requiring starting all over again and every bump means more delicate positioning.

This was not going to end well, so I gave it one more try by reversing the blade and pulling it towards me while driving backwards. I put my hat on backwards just to get in the spririt of the thing.

After all, grading and plowing backwards is just weird enough to be interesting, it might even work, and if nothing else will fascinate the neighbors. They don't have to wonder if I'm odd - they already know..... But no joy... same problems. Not enough fine control and still too much stress plus that float problem is still there. Plan #1 fails....

I still think a front 3pt is reasonable, but the loader arms are NOT the place to mount it. Now I'm looking at that front bumper .... that bumper is it's pretty darn stout......and easy to drill to mount some pivots. Maybe I can reinforce the brush guard enough to mount a top link top link...
There's nothing up there that matters all that much. Just an air filter.... plus some sort of oil cooler & the radiator of course....

rScotty

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #105  
Thanks for sharing that experience. I am planning to build a multipurpose ‘base plate’ for one of my FELS that will take 3pt attachments, but i figure it is mostly for purposes of landscape raking, and just moving/loading 3 pt stuff without scuffing or damaging it with straps and chains.

As far as the ‘3pt on a backhoe’ thing I can envision simply having the backhoe boom raise the 3pt by chain. With a rod linkage it could have down pressure. If i ran the top link backwards out to the dipper stick (similar area to where a hydraulic thumb cylinder would mount) it would have a ‘power top link’ built in but would sure not stay level as it went up and down, no position control, no draft control.

In my mind id just be using it to pull a plow or cultivator that would just be set down and drug. But we’ll see if i ever even attempt it!

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #106  
I thought about that too. It would work for towed implements but doesn't do anything for 3pt ones.

Then I got to thinking about maybe coming up with a front 3pt hitch. After all, I don't do all that much 3pt work and half of what I do could be done by reversing the implement and using it on the front of the tractor. Gotta be easier than taking off the backhoe and then piss-anting those horribly heavy 3pt arms into position.

So my first try was do it the easy way.... The M59 has a really stout loader & frame (4000 lb lift) so I stopped by the dealer and bought a SSQA 3pt, dropped the FEL bucket, put the SSQA 3pt on the front, hooked the 3pt to my smallest 6 foot back blade, and reversed the blade. Then gave it a try.

Wow! No good at all! Danger !!

For one thing, the whole affair sticks out so far forward that the smallest adjustment to lift arms or bucket tilt makes that grader blade jump a foot or more. It's like trying to sign your name with a six foot pencil.

Secondly - and more importantly - The stress on the loader frame and arms is clearly way too high. They flex. Moving half an inch of topsoil going forward is probably possible dead slowly ....anything more than that - or hitting a rock - is going to bend and break things.
Thirdly, a 3pt has float built in. I hadn't thought of that. The 3pt arms go up freely - but my loader arms do not. I have to position the arms at just the right height and then engage float with the loader control - which drops the arms a few inches requiring starting all over again and every bump means more delicate positioning.

This was not going to end well, so I gave it one more try by reversing the blade and pulling it towards me while driving backwards. I put my hat on backwards just to get in the spririt of the thing.

After all, grading and plowing backwards is just weird enough to be interesting, it might even work, and if nothing else will fascinate the neighbors. They don't have to wonder if I'm odd - they already know..... But no joy... same problems. Not enough fine control and still too much stress plus that float problem is still there. Plan #1 fails....

I still think a front 3pt is reasonable, but the loader arms are NOT the place to mount it. Now I'm looking at that front bumper .... that bumper is it's pretty darn stout......and easy to drill to mount some pivots. Maybe I can reinforce the brush guard enough to mount a top link top link...
There's nothing up there that matters all that much. Just an air filter.... plus some sort of oil cooler & the radiator of course....

rScotty
I had the same experience with an SSQA 3pt adapter on both my MX5800 and L6060 tractors. Most attachments put too much strain on the FEL arms. The only 3pt implements I use on the front now are a cinder spreader and a cement mixer which are powered by the 3rd function valve. Neither puts any side load on the FEL arms.

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #107  
I had a 3pt. backhoe, my two happiest times were when I bought and when I sold it. The hoe was handy when you needed it but, the actual need was not often enough to justify it. My Kubota [an L4610] needed the 3pt. hitch removed every time you mounted the frame mounted backhoe.

Those arms are heavy, and you need to store them. When you needed the brush mower, the blade or other attachments, then you have to demount the backhoe and bolt the 3pt. hitch arms back on. My experience was not the easy time that others are writhing about. If I need a hoe, I will go with a mini excavator and leave the tractor unburdened.

Just my two cents!

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #108  
I had a 3pt. backhoe, my two happiest times were when I bought and when I sold it. The hoe was handy when you needed it but, the actual need was not often enough to justify it. My Kubota [an L4610] needed the 3pt. hitch removed every time you mounted the frame mounted backhoe.

Those arms are heavy, and you need to store them. When you needed the brush mower, the blade or other attachments, then you have to demount the backhoe and bolt the 3pt. hitch arms back on. My experience was not the easy time that others are writhing about. If I need a hoe, I will go with a mini excavator and leave the tractor unburdened.

Just my two cents!
Wow. My 3-point backhoe mounts same as any other 3-point implement. Its hydraulics can be used for final alignment. Then reach in and slide its pump onto the PTO. Done.

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #109  
Wow. My 3-point backhoe mounts same as any other 3-point implement. Its hydraulics can be used for final alignment. Then reach in and slide its pump onto the PTO. Done.
Yeah, a 3 point hitch mounted backhoe would do that. Unfortunately, many compact tractors cannot hand the stresses of a backhoe mounted to the 3 point hitch. Hence the need for a subframe for the backhoe to mount on.

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #110  
Yeah, a 3 point hitch mounted backhoe would do that. Unfortunately, many compact tractors cannot hand the stresses of a backhoe mounted to the 3 point hitch. Hence the need for a subframe for the backhoe to mount on.
That’s why I plan to replace the head gasket and get my 8N running as a backhoe carrier. The oil pressure is weak, the hydraulic pump for the 3pth doesn’t work. The rear brakes need work, and of course there are none on the front. But the rear housing is solid and it moves down the road… or at least it did when I parked it in the field several years ago. I changed the antifreeze and oil before walking away from it, so hopefully I can get it going for my intended use.