Anyone added a trailer hitch/ball to their boom pole?

/ Anyone added a trailer hitch/ball to their boom pole? #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
I need to move my trailer around and use the boom pole at basically the same time for my firewood operation and being able to move the trailer quickly without changing 3ph implements or use another vehicle would be a great advantage...

Anyone else done this?...I hope to get this mod. done this week...I'll post some pics ASAP...
would like to hear if anyone else has done this?...any issues??

/ Anyone added a trailer hitch/ball to their boom pole? #2  
If you have a FEL a clamp on/ bolt on hitch would be pretty easy.

Maybe you could also weld a hitch on a short arm near the base of your boom pole.

I didn't think boom poles could pick up that much weight such as a trailer tongue.

/ Anyone added a trailer hitch/ball to their boom pole?
If you have a FEL a clamp on/ bolt on hitch would be pretty easy.

Maybe you could also weld a hitch on a short arm near the base of your boom pole.

I didn't think boom poles could pick up that much weight such as a trailer tongue.

The "hitch" I'm making is located at base of the boom where it connects to the 3ph arms...not much different than my draw-bar hitch attachment...
...I've thought about a hitch/ball on the FEL bucket but it would not be near as fast (or efficient connecting) as one I can see...

/ Anyone added a trailer hitch/ball to their boom pole? #4  
i was going to say kinda risky putting ball at very end of boom pole. i could easily see you doing a wheelie and/or flipping tractor over. if you hooked up to a trailer that had any sort of weight to it (not even loaded down trailer)

if ball was up near the base / 3pt hitch i would be more inclined to do something like that. in thoughts the boom would be high enough not to catch trailer, as you backed up and lifted the ball up into place on the trailer.

a hydraulic top link, might prove more useful with ball hitch located right near 3pt hitch, at base of the boom pole. so you could possibly angle the pole up and out of the way.

/ Anyone added a trailer hitch/ball to their boom pole?
Here's what I did...this was really a simple mod that will save me untold time...the pictures are not the best...They seem to make it look a little off but everything is square and true...the existing tang is a little off...I did ream the (chain hook?) hole big enough for a shackle pin though...
...A boom pole is not the most conveniently configured piece of equipment to manipulate around in a confined shop area...especially considering that most of the work was with it upside down...!

The original base of the boom pole was a single piece of 2.5" x 2.5" x 1/4"...I had the section of 2"x2" x 3/16" sq. tubing with the ball and tang already bolted to it (salvage)...I welded it into the existing base angle...then I took a piece of 2"x2" x 1/4" and cut a 2" tab/notch out of one of the flanges...with the notch I made fitting around the 2"x2" square tubing I welded it up...basically creating a 2"x2" bar that is now the base of the boom pole...

MVC-003F.JPG

MVC-005F.JPG

/ Anyone added a trailer hitch/ball to their boom pole? #6  
Lookin' good, Slash.
Just be careful crossing any abrupt obstacles - humps, swales, etc.
You don't want the front of the tractor pitching up and the overhung boom pole giving your trailer a smack-down.
I see the tilt cylinder in your photo - if you have a top cylinder, too, you can avoid that situation by shortening the top as the nose goes up.
T&T comes in handy in so many unexpected ways!
The added weight of the boom pole should also help prevent any lifting of the 3pt if the tongue gets light.