Anyone added AC to small tractor?

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor? #1  

orangebluegreen

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2410
Anyone added air conditioning to a 21-24HP tractor? I’m thinking on the lines of Kubota B7510/7610/2410 JD2210//4110 or any brand of similar size and power. I see Junkman has made some comments and mentioned some OEM’s, but I haven’t seen any threads where anyone has actually done it. I’ve had all kinds of configurations running through my mind such as retrofitting OEM tractor or automotive versions, or even running a PTO generator to power a RV style roof air.

If anyone has done an AC install wonder how it worked out, what would you do different if anything, and if 21-24HP is enough to run air and 60” MMM. Some have said it only eats up 2-4HP, so it might work. I’ve seen one 12 volt system but they are not recommending it for high ambient temps. Being in Fla, the use would be brutal. This is a consideration in what I choose for a tractor, so trying to consider the possibility now.

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor? #2  
I have a complete A/C system for a Nissan pickup, in the box, from the factory. It's Nissan part # B7000-77P001. If you think it would work I'd give you a deal on it.

John

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor? #3  
I used to add AC to heavy equipment. bought the AC system parts from Red Dot.
I do not think you will have the extra power for the AC and a 60" deck if the grass is at all hard to cut. You are talking about 3-5 hp for the compressor and the 12V DC requirements will load another 1/4-1/2 hp or so on your alternator.
I you go for it though, I would recommend the rooftop unit, this removes the condenser from the front of the radiator, which makes you engine cooling unchanged.

Ben

ps. Have you driven a small car with AC ? On the old Chevettes, you had to turn off the AC to go up steep hills.
The power consumed by AC is noticable.

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor?
I was basing my guess partially on the following thread.
AC Thread

Some (including Neil Messick) seem to think it was 2-3HP and another says about 1 HP per ton or perhaps 4-5HP. 4-5 ton seems excessive to me but I haven’t dug into how many ton most tractors use. My motorhome cools in dead of summer with a 13.5 and 11k BTU roof units and it has a LOT of glass. That should be about 2.5 ton if I’m figuring correctly.

My thinking (right or wrong)....if 21HP is enough for a B7510 to power a 60” deck and AC only takes 2-3 HP, then it would seem a 24HP B7610/2410 should be able to power AC and deck. Perhaps it is too close if indeed it does consume more like 3-5HP including alternator draw. I also do not know how borderline a B7510 is with a 60” deck. I assume they should have plenty of power considering Kubota put 60” decks on much lower powered tractors years ago. Appears the tractors and mowers JD put AC on are all over 30HP.

I’m going to have a closer look at Red Dot, and I know an AC parts dealer/compressor rebuilder in Miami I could probably get some info from, but they won’t have any info on tractor needs.

BTW.....yes on the small car with AC, I used to have a VW Rabbit diesel many years ago and on the West VA. Turnpike the AC had to be turned off.

NewToy: I'll look those numbers up. I also have a Mitsubishi auto that needs the AC fixed up.

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor? #5  
OBG,
Yes by all means check it out. Pleas let us know what you find out. I don't have the figures, but my gut feeling is that it will be a bit too much for the tractor while mowing tall stuff with a 60" deck.

You have some long downhill grades on the WV turnpike you can cool back down on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor? #6  
Hi, I just ran across your question about small AC unit on small engines. I use to put AC units from old junk vehicles in Strip mining equipment & they worked great.
I have a 23 hp enclosed cab CM 224 that I am going to put in regular style AC in the near future but for a quick fix, (I had an accident & cannot do as I once did) I took out the back glass, made a bracket that mounts to cab & put a 5000 btu window unit in where window was. To power the unit I mounted a 5500 watt generator on back end of the tractor on a bracket I made for it. It works great. I have a car type heater that runs on hot water from radiator so I have warmth in winter and I now have cold AC for summer time use. I don't know if this will help you or not but I did not think it would hurt if I shared this with you. I do like my comforts if at all possible.
Thanks for listening,
TraderRalph

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor? #7  
It's going to depend on which compressor you use, but to give you an idea - the old Fridgiare A6 compressor that GM used for decades (and a few Fords too) took 12 hp to run it - I learned that while doing my apprenticeship with Cadillac at GM training. The Nippendenso and Sankyo compressors that alot of the imports use would be the ideal size for a small tractor but I would imagine they take at least 8 to 10 hp to operate - you will definitely notice it on a 25 hp +/- engine. The only way you can get by with it will be to get your pulley sizes matched correctly. I would also recommend the idea of remote mounting the condenser with an electric fan if possible, but if not, you can add a thermostatic fan clutch and more aggressive fan blades to get the air flow you will need or mount a pusher electric fan in front of the condenser. The Nissan system NewToy mentions would be a good capacity but I think the condenser might be a little too wide for a tractor - would have to check it out.

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I took out the back glass, made a bracket that mounts to cab & put a 5000 btu window unit in where window was. To power the unit I mounted a 5500 watt generator on back end of the tractor on a bracket I made for it.
Thanks for listening,
TraderRalph )</font>

I NEED Pictures of this ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor? #9  
These guys have stand alone 12V 5000 BTU AC units. Which might be an option for your smaller tractor. Although you may have to upgrade your alternator.

http://www.cabdepot.com/make_page.php

*** NEW Self-Contained, 12 volt DC Air Conditioning (approx. 5,000 BTU),
system is now being offered as an optional accessory on most Sims Cabs.
A/C can be fitted to older cab models also!! See details in our sales flyer.

/ Anyone added AC to small tractor?
TraderRalph:
I had pondered that as well. I power both a 13.5 + 11K BTU roof units with a 5k Onan in my motorhome. It is marginally enough electricity, but through experience I know it takes about 3000-3500 watts to power the typical 13.5 roof air which would likely be enough for a CUT. They make some now that are more efficient that might take lower amounts of power. The one thing that makes me hesitant on this idea is the roof airs would be very vulnerable to low tree branches, would have to build a hefty brush guard, and where to mount the generator without it being obtrusive....but if one installed a diesel generator rather than PTO it wouldn’t rob the engine of power. Obviously would have to include circuit breakers.

I have not had the time lately to get all the info on these Red Dot units, but they look very slick indeed. I have never before seen hydraulically driven compressors as shown here, wonder what draw this places on a system. Would solve bracket and space problems for sure, though may not be cost efficient. Junk yard conversion sounds good to me. I’m sure these companies can answer the questions, just a matter of time for me, I’ll get there though.
http://www.tknw.com/Products/RedDot/R9990.asp

skipmarcy:
That’s certainly too much draw for the small tractors. I too am curious about the Nippendenso’s, it appears the small 4cyl import cars with low HP use them. I know a compressor rebuilder in Miami who I’m sure can fill me in when I get time to call them.

PBinWA:
Those units look pretty slick, only thing is when I was reading up on them, they claim not recommended for high ambient temperature locations. I’m not sure why, but makes me think they are marginal in their ability to cool in seriously hot conditions.

BTW....I downloaded the parts breakdown for several Kubota models including the B3030. Had hoped to see what they were using on it, but the breakdown I was able to download did not include AC. If anyone has a link to that download, would be interesting to see.