Anyone build a whiz bang chicken plucker?

/ Anyone build a whiz bang chicken plucker? #11  
Made the bottom plate for a guy that built one of these. He wanted it made out of 1/2" aluminum so that's what I used. He's really pleased with the results.

/ Anyone build a whiz bang chicken plucker?
Made the bottom plate for a guy that built one of these. He wanted it made out of 1/2" aluminum so that's what I used. He's really pleased with the results.

Do you know how he did his fingers on the bottom? 1/2" would be to thick for the fingers you can purchase on amazon.

/ Anyone build a whiz bang chicken plucker? #13  
I built one and put it in the shed and never grew any chickens so I don't know how well it works. :chicken::confused3: Ed

/ Anyone build a whiz bang chicken plucker? #14  
Looks good, did you leave the bottom totally open? I have seen some were they just cut a slot to allow for water and feathers to come out. I do have an old one hp motor lying around. I think the next biggest expense will be the "fingers" and the bottom plate.

Would you do anything differently now that you have used it for awhile?

Some on U-tube appear to work better than others, maybe it was editing by the author. Some you see the chicken get stuck a number of times prior to it being plucked. I wonder if that if finger placement, the motor is not big enough or motor speed?

I may have to purchase Herrick Kimball's book. I need to look around and see how much I already have on hand and how much I will have to purchase.

A guy at work bought a used chicken plucker, I didn't think to ask him if it was homemade or factory manufactured. I know he said he paid around $600 for it used.

I built mine this spring from the Whizbang kit, a barrel & motor (3/4hp) I already had. LOVE IT. We raise about 50 meat chickens/yr, and plucking was the worst part for me.....takes me about 15-20min per bird. Real chore to do dozen birds in a day. Now it's 30 seconds, and does a better job than my hand plucking !

I did leave the bottom in my barrel, as it doesn't seem like a good thing to me to let everything fall down on the pulley/belt/etc.

Here are some pics of how I did mine:

Started the chute cut 3" from the hole for the shaft in the barrel center.

ry%3D400

Slot 4" wide:

ry%3D400

Finished slot:

ry%3D400

Chute made out of some aluminum trim coil:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Mounted 6 of the rubber fingers in new holes facing down. They act as a 'sweep' to move the feathers around to drop in the chute. Kit has extra fingers. I also used a pair of channel locks to pull mine into the holes, and a Unibit to drill my holes.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Bottom side of feather plate. Feather plate then mounted so the bottom fingers barely make contact with the barrel bottom (use the locking collar of the bearings to adjust shaft height)

ry%3D400

I built mine this spring from the Whizbang kit, a barrel & motor (3/4hp) I already had. LOVE IT. We raise about 50 meat chickens/yr, and plucking was the worst part for me.....takes me about 15-20min per bird. Real chore to do dozen birds in a day. Now it's 30 seconds, and does a better job than my hand plucking !

I did leave the bottom in my barrel, as it doesn't seem like a good thing to me to let everything fall down on the pulley/belt/etc.

Here are some pics of how I did mine:

Started the chute cut 3" from the hole for the shaft in the barrel center.

ry%3D400

Slot 4" wide:

ry%3D400

Finished slot:

ry%3D400

Chute made out of some aluminum trim coil:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Mounted 6 of the rubber fingers in new holes facing down. They act as a 'sweep' to move the feathers around to drop in the chute. Kit has extra fingers. I also used a pair of channel locks to pull mine into the holes, and a Unibit to drill my holes.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Bottom side of feather plate. Feather plate then mounted so the bottom fingers barely make contact with the barrel bottom (use the locking collar of the bearings to adjust shaft height)

ry%3D400

Do you have any problems with the belt slipping? Any more pictures of the rest of the build? Anything you would have done different if you were to build it again?

yes it is,
and thank you, I thought she did a good job on the writing as well,

Looks well made, should hold up better than a wood frame. I will have to consider welding up a frame myself. I think I should have enough metal lying around.

/ Anyone build a whiz bang chicken plucker? #18  
Do you have any problems with the belt slipping? Any more pictures of the rest of the build? anything you would have done different if you were to build it again?

Belt doesn't slip if you use the tensioner Whizbang recommends. (I did). Only thing I plan to do different is add a handle of some kind (like a dolly) as the weight is on the motor side when I tip it back on the wheels. I used 2x2 and 5/4 oak...it's PLENTY stout enough. Also built a motor cover out of some scrap plywood.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

/ Anyone build a whiz bang chicken plucker? #19  
Do you know how he did his fingers on the bottom? 1/2" would be to thick for the fingers you can purchase on amazon.
I'll email him on Tuesday with that question. It was about 6 years ago that he built it. Said it would do a chicken in about 20 seconds. I water jetted the plate for him and I still have the pattern on the computer labeled 'chicken plucker'.

/ Anyone build a whiz bang chicken plucker? #20  
1/4" plate would be plenty thick enough, aluminum or steel.