Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer?

/ Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer?
I will take plenty of pics, have another project to get in the shop so the walking around is probably all I will get done this weekend. I came to the quick conclusion I need to order the hollers, roll of plastic and drip tape. Just can't eyeball it all yet.

Well crap I had to quit drinking, and it has really slowed my creative juices. I am starting back on this this weekend. I plan to cut a old 3 point grader in two to make the wings and want to make them adjustable. The frame needs to be 5 foot wide to get the 4 foot roll inside the frame and make a mounting point for the wheels and covering arms.

Now without the beer I get a headache every time I do this.

I have a question. We have trouble finding regular 12 inch hillier type disks around here. There are however plenty of the rubber 10 inch wheels used on planters to be had. Do you think they would work as well?

Little completed today, got the form picked up and finalized some measurements. It is under way.

Attachments

• image-2675654533.jpg
    image-2675654533.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 369
   / Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer? #24  
Yup, built one last year!
Mine would have worked better with a heavier MIL spec of plastic, but used what I had, lightweight UV resistant saran-wrap. The frame for the unit was the lower section of a machine skid, 10" discs stole from another project, water-irragation tube feeds thru broken piece of pipe from pop-up shelter.
IMG_0404.jpgIMG_0405.jpg
Shadow

Cool, I am building my fame similarly. I put a bed shaper on mine that consists of that pan above and a 6 foot grader blade split in half and put in the frame as wings to pull dirt into the pan. I need to shorten the pan some as it measures 48 inches as is and that won't leave any mulch to press down. So I am thinking I will take 2 inches off and taper it so it is adjustable up and down. I will take a few more pix tonight.

Another mock up pic. I have the frame pieces cut.

Had to add an equipment pic. Old royal bandsaw still going strong! Still get coolant everywhere but blades last!

Attachments

• image-4026344892.jpg
    image-4026344892.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 439
  • image-1318564206.jpg
    image-1318564206.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 341
Some more today. Still lots to do!

Attachments

• image-2467555709.jpg
    image-2467555709.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 516
   / Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer? #28  
Rio Grande; Not tryin to tell you how to do it,But you need to kinda create a funnel effect from your wings to the shaper as dirt will go over top of it if you dont

Thanks for the suggestion. Already in the works, I ran out of plate. I plan to put a scoop on the top to knock anything that comes up back down. I wasn't real thrilled with the stringers from the 3 point lower links back to the pan attachment but it needed the rigidity. Frame wise very strong now. Still lots to do. Keep suggesting. I never even seen one of these in person just in pix.

Forgot the pic

Attachments

• image-3572095916.jpg
    image-3572095916.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 526