Anyone converted a Honda GX390 to Electric Start?

/ Anyone converted a Honda GX390 to Electric Start? #1  

yankeerider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 755
Since this is another year of needing to repair my Giant-Vac leaf vac before use, I've decided to bite the bullet and build my idea of what a leaf vac should be to handle the discharge of my 60" mower.

I want to use a Billy Goat 13 hp leaf loader as the power source, and mount it on the three point hitch. With the inlet on the right side, that will mean the pull starter pulls toward the tractor. I have seen electric start kits for the Honda GX390 (which the 13 hp version uses) and so that would be a good solution if it's a reliable starting system. Anyone have experience with the electric start conversion kit?

/ Anyone converted a Honda GX390 to Electric Start? #2  
I'm looking into putting one on my GX340. Wondering the samething. $129.99 on Ebay.

/ Anyone converted a Honda GX390 to Electric Start? #3  
I put an engine on the passenger side of my home made dump truck to power the hoist, but I wanted to start it from the drivers side. It was a simple feat to just add a longer rope and run it through EMT. Never had a problem even going around the bends. Flare both ends of the EMT with your tool of choice ( I used a screwdriver...) and make a bracket so the engine side of the EMT comes somewhere near the recoil starter.

/ Anyone converted a Honda GX390 to Electric Start?
Thanks. That's my fall-back position, or even in addition to an electric start. I was thinking more along the lines of a pulley or two, with a ring to stop the pull handle.

Part of the reason behind the electric start, though, is that my 55+ year old shoulders just aren't what they used to be, and I don't expect they are going to improve much with time.

Last edited: