Anyone dug a pond before?

/ Anyone dug a pond before? #12  
WTA, am I correct in thinking that you are located in west Texas and your only water to fill your pond will be runoff from heavy rains? Your profile doesn't give a lot of help with your location, but I think I remember this from prior posts.

/ Anyone dug a pond before?
I tried the runoff idea but it didn't work. Runoff where I put it was coming out of the barn area. Manure isn't a good thing in a pond. I put a 4 inch riser from my irrigation line next to the pond now. I filled it initially with that and it was needing refilled every other day, now we're down to once a month. It sealed up pretty good letting the cows and horses in there to tamp down the mud on the bottom. When I get it drained and deepened I am going to run a pipe to the center of it with a big sprinkler head. Hopefully that will help aerate it.

I have to go 35 feet to hit water here. I sure wish I could do it a lot shallower like some of you.

/ Anyone dug a pond before? #14  
WTA, you have hit on what some do here depending on location and type of dirt...they give the dirt away if they are not able to sell it for a pit. Depending on your area with a lot being the type of dirt you have and demand for it you should be able to find some one who will dig it for the dirt.