Anyone Else Collect Old Engines

/ Anyone Else Collect Old Engines
Hiya

Nice red engine Mike R, and 1914 is really old, nice.

Thanks. 98 years old and still going strong. I am the fifth owner of it. I talked to the 3rd owner who got it from his friend in the mid 1940's and fellow I bought it from. Both of them said they never rebuilt it. I know that is true because it has the old style piston rings where they are 1/4inch wide. I have the history on it right back to the farm it was on when new. It was a local farm too. I just need to find the Cream Separator it came off of.

MikeFarm said:
I don't collect such engines but I have a 1963 Lister CS 6-1 engine on my farm.
I would consider your engine a collectors engine. It is still old enough to be classified as a collectible.

Last edited:
   / Anyone Else Collect Old Engines #13  
Oh wow, that's even better that you have the history and provenance of the machine :)

Thanks. 98 years old and still going strong. I am the fifth owner of it. I talked to the 3rd owner who got it from his friend in the mid 1940's and fellow I bought it from. Both of them said they never rebuilt it. I know that is true because it has the old style piston rings where they are 1/4inch wide. I have the history on it right back to the farm it was on when new. It was a local farm too. I just need to find the Cream Separator it came off of.

/ Anyone Else Collect Old Engines #14  
No I don't collect old engines but I thought you might like to know that they still make the old fly wheel engines with the h2o tank on top in china. They put them on two wheel tractors and use them for everything from plowing to taking their produce to market. Seem to have great power. Ed

No I don't collect old engines but I thought you might like to know that they still make the old fly wheel engines with the h2o tank on top in china. They put them on two wheel tractors and use them for everything from plowing to taking their produce to market. Seem to have great power. Ed

Do you have any info on them. I have heard of people reconditioning old oil-well engine and putting them back in service.

I would like to get a whistle for the exhaust on mine. I know it's will not be original but they sure do get lots of attention at shows.

/ Anyone Else Collect Old Engines #17  
We have a few of them. The first is a 1942 international hopper cooled that came from the farm my dad grew up on. It started in the blacksmith shop, but by the time they moved there, it was in sort of a dog house thing, being used to pump out the septic tank. He just finished restoring it, and just needs to rebuild the magneto to get it running. Then I got an older engine, that looks far newer. It is a 1936 Wisconsin, serial number 8. It has a big gear box on it, weighs about 300#, and puts out 1.8 hp. I hear it came off an old Toro greens mower, rebuild by someone in 1964, then by me a few years ago. The final is likely one of the rarest hopper cooled engines there is. It is an old 2 cylinder novo off an old cement mixer. We could only find one piece of text on it, and no pictures, they were all ran into the ground, and rare to begin with. The only issue is we only have the block, hopper, gas tank, pistons, and valves. The last owner of it died half way through taking it apart. We bought it from his nephew for $40. He said he knows the other parts are in his garage somewhere, and as they clean his stuff out, they will send us any engine parts the find. It will be a very long term projet, but we just couldn't pass up what could be the last of that model in existence.

Deereman75. You might find this article interesting about the NOVO company.
NOVO COMPANY HISTORY* Article In GEM Nov

What horse power is your NOVO? If the one you have is the same thing that I am thinking, I have heard of a few of them. Built around 1928.

/ Anyone Else Collect Old Engines #19  
I really have no idea on the hp, it is in bc, and I am at the ranch in Alberta. I remember searching around for it, and there is another one that is far more common, and a bit earlier, likely the one your thinking of. I think the one I have was made in the mid 30s. The earlier one was more for farm use, so there are still a lot around. The one I have got is an industrial one, normally used on cement mixers. All the abrasive dust just trashed them, and almost all of them were scrapped. We have one of the few that didn't end up a toyota or Chinese tractor. Edit: I guess I should have read that article first, the farm one was the rare one. I do remember the earlier one being easier to find, I recall the one I have was one of the late, low production models.

Your Novo is the Sqaure bodyed one with the hood on it. Yes you are correct with it beineg rare. I thought it was the vertical engine but now that I think about it it is only a single cylinder.