Oil & Fuel Anyone else had a backwords running diesel motor

/ Anyone else had a backwords running diesel motor #11  
Ive had it happen to me on on old Terex TS14B scraper backengine did that, an American crane with a Detroit, same engine as the Terex, A 237Mack engine in a rolloff truck, and in an old cat dozer with an oil bath breather that sat in inthe floorboards. That was nasty lol when it puked the oild ou of the breather in my lap. Anything from timing to lugging one or rollstarting one in the wrong gear can cause this.

/ Anyone else had a backwords running diesel motor #12  
Just happened to me a few weeks ago - I was pushing gravel up into a pile, and as always happens when I'm either not fast enough on the clutch or the loader controls, it started to stall. I think the tractor rolled a bit backwards when the power "went away" and it fired back up - black smoke out of the intake and exhaust flapper banging shut. I killed the fuel, restarted, and kept working, wondering what it would be like to have 12 reverse gears and how the hydraulics, generator, water pump, etc., would work....or not work. That would be my main concern: the accessories, not the engine.

/ Anyone else had a backwords running diesel motor #13  
Yes, every time I use my tractor. The little ZL600 2-cylinder diesel in my Kubota B6000 runs backwards (counterclockwise) all the time...

Notice the direction of the fan blades in this pic?

View of ZL600 engine from left side

Consequently the rear PTO also turns backwards (counterclockwise)... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Anyone else had a backwords running diesel motor #14  
It happened to me last year. I was splitting wood with a homemade splitter, not realising I'd hooked up the hydraulics backwards. Luckily I was using my backhoe pump for power; it only cost me about $300 to replace it, instead of buying a new unit for my L275.

If you buy a new Bombardier snowsled the reverse works by retatding the spark, causing it to run backwards; rather hard to get used to but I guess it works well.