Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #971  
Milky spore. I still see HB's eating bugs in the garden it's just that ore numbers were lower than normal last year. I know the birds are cyclical in population so that's what I assume it is but I am reducing the amount of available bugs to eat.

I saw a HB either flying barely off the ground or sitting on it or a small branch a couple years ago grabbing a bug. People tell me that can't do that but they sit on my wife metal garden trellis all the time.

I would not be concerned about milky spore. That is a bacterium that is a specific threat to just Japanese beetle larvae.

My bet would be that you are right, and it is just the cyclical nature of things. Either that, or some neighbor went all out with garden plantings for hummingbirds. ;)

All the best,

Peter

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #972  
looks like they will be here soon.
I make my own nektar 4:1 boiled sugar water.

No red, benzene is not good for anyone.
Maybe a bobber in the feeders for those with bad sight?
Label says color from fruit and vegetable extract

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
   / Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #973  
   / Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #974  
Clipping along at around a quart every other day. Should double that soon.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #975  
My rufous are holding mating flights. I have been flashed by a hummer, right in front of my nose. The annas that wintered over are making themselves scarce. The rufous just showed up last week, drained two feeders, and are checking out the nests. I have flickers and woodpeckers working, so there will be plenty of hummer condos.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
A few scouts are out in south and parts of central Ohio. It's earlier than last year by a week to two. We are putting one feeder out today.