Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
In our area hummingbirds stay all year round, and have survived this winter's lowest temperature about -10*C or 14*F with 55 mph wind at the same time, which I find amazing!
I don't know how your area pulls off year round birds. That, plus dozens of birds on feeders at one time. Nothing like that around here.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #952  
They are year round, here too, and we get some snow and lots hard freezes. It makes me realize how much of their diet isn't nectar. I see them often picking things off of spiderwebs, often little insects like ants, gnats, and mosquitos. Anna's are our most common visitor.

They often do their mating dances between the house and the barn. I always enjoy the show.

All the best,

Peter

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #953  
There has been a slight uptick in the year-round Annas feeding lately. It is too early for the traveling Rufous variety. That is when I am refilling feeders nearly every day. Kind of a 2-hump camel back activity here, a hump in spring and then another in fall as the travelers go to Canada/Alaska and return. Some summer-over here.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #954  
I noticed the feeder consumption had gone up lately, but today I saw my first of the migratotory Rufous hummers. Skinny guy drinking and drinking. I can't see the feeders from in the house, I only saw this bird because I had a full feeder to change out for the near empty feeder it was drinking from.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #955  
The first pair showed on the 3/20, only one feeder out now till more show. Rudy throated.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
Nothing in Ohio yet despite our warmer weather. The birds apparently know a head fake when they see it. Prior years show April 18 or so as a typical arrival date so we're on hold for now.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #957  
I'd guess everyone see birds which are not the 1st through.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #958  
I don't know how your area pulls off year round birds. That, plus dozens of birds on feeders at one time. Nothing like that around here.
Nor here. Our hummingbird season is mid-ish May thru early-mid Sept. If we have anything other than ruby throat, I've never seen them. I don't go thru anywhere near the amount of fake nectar that some here report either...typically I'll refill a feeder every week and a half or so. Less often when everything's in bloom.
RTs are quite territorial, and will chase others away from a feeder...sometimes will wait and ambush another one. You NEVER see them sharing it.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #959  
We've seen 2 scouts so far here in Mid-Georgia. That's usually about 2 weeks before the flocks arrive. We're looking forward to seeing those little guys arrive.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #960  
I put out the feeder a week ago and saw two ruby throats Sunday. None yesterday. And it's lightly raining today but, saw, I assume, the same 2 early this morning. I tried to get a picture but they are quicker than I am.