anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed?

/ anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed? #21  
Didn't they have a 7 lug F250 that used the 1/2 Ton sheet metal in '99? The F150HD would be the equivalent today? Kinda like GM was doing with the 8 Lug, 6.0L, 8600 GVW 1500HD and 2500 from '99 to 2006. GM some years called them 2500 or 1500HD.

Some years Ford called it a F-250 also.

/ anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed? #22  
On the pickup's I've seen with a dump bed, the bed has been moved to the rear so it will clear the cab when it is raised. Check where the hinge point is before you buy a kit. It seems to me a dump trailer would be a better choice.

/ anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed?
I wouldn't mind owning a dump trailer, actually years ago I had an opportunity to buy one at a good deal, Having a dump trailer would for certain require having a 4X4 in order to maneuver it around off road, If only I still had my Ol- Ramcharger 4x4 and could easily pull one while fully loaded, Anywhere!
But the fact is a 2wd truck would be useless when pulling a loaded dump trailer off road, Plus In most cases if when needing a dump truck,trailer, etc,etc, I will also need my tractor at the same place same time, pulling a dump trailer would mean having to leave my tractor and implements behind or either much of my time and fuel spent in traveling back-n-forth, ................................

Mace Canute, I remember seeing these advertised several years back, They look like would work for the novice or someone who using it every now and then, Though not sure how long would last from an everyday use, I've seen other similar home built ones, Once while taking loads off to the land-field, I noticed a man with his trailer rigged with some sort of heavy duty fabric, ( I think same stuff as the load handler ) layed out over the steel floor of his trailer, he had cables attached is some way that the loader operator could hook to and drag out the loads, Preventing him from unloading by hand,
Seem to work for him, But no telling how often he had to replace the fabric, I'm sure construction materials and nails would shorten the life of it,
I think my main problem is trying to keep this a One man operation, when in fact it might require having another person to help, I just hate all the red tape and BS of employing someone, Been there done that before in my previouse business, There is only one person I can truely depend on, and that is myself,
but thats another story:cool:
1980 Ramcharger, Named: the Beast! by my Granddaughter

Attachments

• Picture 2027.jpg
    Picture 2027.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
This may not be as simple as I first thought, It seems like in doing what I'm wanting to do with landscaping, I'm going to have to make some big changes in my equipment or either throw in with someone who ownes a dump truck and give him more of the cut than I will make myself:cool: which is usually the case:(

/ anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed? #25  
DnD,

Many times I've found that material yards deliver for reasonable prices. Small loads of light material can simply be shoveled off of your current truck.

I've done a few patios and driveways here and there and found that delivery in a triable truck is about $200 depending on the distance and included in the invoice from the yard. But the downside is that you cannot haul away.

I guess I missed it, but what are you expecting to haul and dump? Aggregate materials going to the customers place? Or lawn clippings and yard debris away?

DnD,

Many times I've found that material yards deliver for reasonable prices. Small loads of light material can simply be shoveled off of your current truck.

I've done a few patios and driveways here and there and found that delivery in a triable truck is about $200 depending on the distance and included in the invoice from the yard. But the downside is that you cannot haul away.

I guess I missed it, but what are you expecting to haul and dump? Aggregate materials going to the customers place? Or lawn clippings and yard debris away?

In my past experience when assessing a project most folks will want to know If I am to supply such and such materials, and is a factor as to whether or not i get the job, I've been using my trailer after unloading my equipment to run go get what ever materials I need, This is time burned, or some will ask if I'll be removing any left over debris? I will have to tell them I can pile it up for them to have removed, or again pile it all on my trailer and haul it off then come back for my equipment later, I have at times had them to agree to get a drop-off container , but I have found that people usually don't wont to deal with coordinating anything, they just want it done and done quickly,
for instance last year I leveled out several spots to erect above ground swimming pools, They would ask if I would get the sand and spreed it out, I would have to tell them I have no way of doing so other then getting small bags at a time, or order it to be delivered, which can be an unexpected and added expense to their budget for the pool, other my need me to build a retaining wall, etc,etc,
Those of you who have done these things before Know what is all involved, It just make the difference on closing a deal on a project that the person knows you can handle it all, ;)

/ anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed? #27  
Why not just hire it done. My guy is $75 per hour, 1 hr min. He has two quad axle dumps that will haul upto 24.5 tons.

Chris

/ anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed? #28  
Yes, they still do. Its got a 7,700# GVWR. I had one. It was a tough truck but was built on the F150 platform as you stated.

The GM was like you said on the 1500 chassis, not sure of the GVWR, and the 2500 chassis with a 8,800# GVWR.

Chris

Actually the chassis on the GM was larger than a 1/2 Ton but smaller than the 9200 HD 2500. At least the 2002 2500 Suburban that share axles with 1500HD was noticeably larger than the same vintage 1/2 Tons I have/had.

/ anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed? #29  
Those of you who have done these things before Know what is all involved, It just make the difference on closing a deal on a project that the person knows you can handle it all, ;)

I would include the sand in the price whether you pick it up or have it delivered. No different than having blocks or bricks delivered.

/ anyone ever convert a truck be to a Dump bed? #30  
I agree. Wether you pick up the products or they are delivered, it's costing money. And I also agree that you should be coordinating it regardless. But means and methods are up to you, and ideally at the lowest cost to you and the customer.

So lawn clippings are not a concern, so if I were you, I'd forget the dump bed as well. Keep your truck to move equipment and tools. Have your materials delivered. Haul off waste by choosing between: your truck, a hired truck, or dumpster. If you find that your are constant constrained by the truck drivers and coordination of them, you can bite the bullet and buy a dump truck. But the truck will cost money and that cost needs to be passed down to your customers. So the hauling costs will always be passed down.