Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees?

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #61  
They are a total nuisance. When I spot small ones trying to grow in the fields, I dig them out with a mattock and burn them. I have some mature ones on a hillside that I'm still trying to kill.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #62  
Water locust thorny trees! I am concerned about getting flats on the Mahinda 5010 tractor while clipping the pasture. Or my truck while riding through! Now and far into the future, but not sure how much the latter is a concern. It's because of what we always called Water Locust trees, incredibly thorny monsters. These things have thousands of thorns several inches long that are like nails, like super big hypodermic needles. If you've never seen one, check the image at the bottom. Growing up on the farm, we had to bushhog the pastures and we'd get flats from these thorns. So, what to do. How do you get rid of these? I could hire a forestry mulcher that has tracks and he could certainly do it. But how long would you need to not drive in that spot!

A couple of years ago in this same pasture, we cut some in the open pasture with a chainsaw and polesaw and carefully stacked every single limb and made brush piles. I am now going to burn those and hope every thorn burns! But I now need to clear a heavily infested spot, dozens of trees to reclaim that part of the pasture. What is the best method is the question. And also how long these thorns can remain a pest. Like, many years before they rot?

These trees are beautiful trees otherwise and make a great conversation topic; I would like to save a couple of the more picturesque ones but I worry about them shedding a limb here and there and... flats. The trees also makes great firewood but dealing with the massive thorn clusters, yikes. I suppose that these trees are cousins of the honey locust tree. I wish they were just black locust or the thornless honey locust variety.

GivenFile
I remember when I was a kid we moved onto an old farm in Indiana - had a pasture pretty full of them. Dad had a ford 900 ( very nice / 961 I think - dual stage clutch for PTO) anyway - he also had a heavy duty bush hog and backed over a bunch of them - had flats for 2 years after that! Also know that the wood was really full of sap / fat lighter and really like to explode when burning - and made a lot of sutt - we heated with firewood. It was a hot fire and I imagine if pile of them were set off it might get interesting. I also think dad said if you used them for fence posts they would last forever. I remember the wood looked like walnut with white stripes in it. Very pretty actually. Black Locus is what he called them. The thorns were 3-4 inches at least and sharp plus hard as nails

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #63  
Good tools help, grapple, cut trees down and cut into 15 lenghts, dope with RTU, have liquid tube in tires or beet juice, and try not to step or get stabbed.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #64  
dope with RTU ????

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #67  
We bulldozed about 10 or 15 acres worth in the mid 70s and piled them into a huge brush pile that we burnt over a couple years. We never really had issues with the thorns afterwards that I recall. We've used them in the wood stove as well and they burn pretty well. We normally ring them and wait for they to 'cure' while still standing. After a few years they are ready to cut. Yes the thorns are a pain (literally) but you figure it out.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #68  
And I thought black locust was bad, they only grow thorns on the trunk when young. Neighbor had one about 5' DBH, arborist cut it down before they built, I can attest it makes great fire wood and fish billies. What he didn't count on was the generous copice growth that black locust is capable of, he now is fighting a battle with a locust grove about 100 feet in diameter of very thorny saplings!

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #69  
My work boots have broken off locust thorns in the soles and when I step on piece of gravel just right, it about sends me into orbit. I have liners in them but they still poke through sometimes....