Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit

/ Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit #21  
What I don't get is, in my state, beaver can make a pond without a permit.
During a series of heavy rainstorms a river otter thought the outflow from my pond was a creek. It found the pond by traveling up the outflow, and began devastating all my 20+lb catfish that had taken 20 years to mature from fingerlings. I learned that otters can kill "just for the fun of it."

I made the mistake of calling the County, who also got the Department of Agriculture involved. By the time it was over, the quoted fees to install a single trap was over $1,000, and the trap application had pages of requirements including getting a "registration number" that had to be placarded on the trap. Then they asked if I had a valid State of CA hunting license?

Along the way, I complained about the slow pace of any response while the fish were being actively killed each night. The response was: "we have a lot of urgent priorities to deal with, far beyond just a beaver." In short order, their lack of response no longer mattered because the otter had wiped out all the fish and left.

I will not make that mistake again.

/ Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit #22  
I was hoping you would show up on this Lineman. Any experience with this?

The map attached; the yellow blob would be a likely home site; the green-teal would be a trail; and the blue circle would be kinda the preferred pond location, but the red circle (which IS upland) would also work well.

I know you do a mix of contracted work; you build an farm ponds or borrow pits? Not asking you to out yourself if you did something shady, and not looking for a bid :)View attachment 871071
I don't dig ponds, but I have pumped some down and put in some spillways and over flow pipes nothing more but the one thing I do know is if asking questions do it in general not in specifics and do not give them the location specifics or you will have more people and more departments from more agency's than you ever knew existed in the middle of your business, the county I live in broke me a long time ago from asking questions that I didn't already know the answer to, which is why I said it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

/ Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit #23  
This is exactly what I would not do. Keep asking questions and every regulatory agency in the free world will have their hand in it. Why not ask NATO or WEF also lol.
My, my, my. NRCS isn’t a regulatory agency. They exist to help farmers and landowners with technical assistance. And the state water quality agency has the authority to fine. May as well find out the law before breaking it, because they will find out.

/ Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit
So, I guess I will share some real world, non pond, permitting things I've dealt with, on the Imperial side, while hopefully staying out of trouble;
1) Several years ago, a gentleman calls about getting a permit for a driveway to his horse boarding farm. At the time my roll was temporarily a bit different, I get all his info, prepare all his stuff. My boss tries to argue that he should only get a 16 ft max driveway, with 25 ft radius; I find in the regs he absolutely can have a 24 ft, with 25 ft radius; but potentially, you could argue he could have upto 50 ft radius. Anyways, get it approved; and meet with him in the field to discuss what he really wants. He mentions that in the longer term he wants to put a RV campground in. I immediately tell him, 'you didn't say that, we didn't talk about that, and don't bring it up until your actually ready to move forward with that phase". That 'future' RV park would have changed the construction cost of the driveway from maybe $10k to possibly up around $250k; maybe needing a Right turn lane, and certainly a left turn in....

2) Maybe the opposite side of the equation; a family is trying to self build a storage yard, where you rent space to store boats, rvs, tree trimming trucks, whatever, fenced secure storage. Multiple times while they are working onsite, I mention to them, you Need to come in and talk about permits. 'yeah, yeah, we know, we will get on it in a few months'. We'll, they finally come in, and the driveway will not be permitted in the location their entire site is lined up with... yes, they will get a driveway to the road, but not in the location their entire site is build for....

3) a contractor I know fairly well, and I would say I'm personally friendly with the owner, calls me about a small commercial property, guy has a boat mechanic shop, and he just recently purchased the adjacent lot for overflow storage, customer parking, ect. Contractor states, he wants to make some minor improvements, do I need to get a permit... I look at it on aerial; "if he comes to us, he's going to have to remove both driveways and property 1, and the 1 driveway on property 2, and construction 1 large access servicing both parcels if he wants to permit, so, maybe we never talked" and no problem ever came up

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit #25  
Can't speak for Florida.

Here in Texas, I was informed that a Land Owner can dig a pond without a permit if it's less then 90 acres in size. You can also dam up a creek if it is not named on a map. Named creeks belong to the local Dam Authority for whatever big river has a dam on it. You have to deal with them if you want to dam up a named creek.

Back in California, where I grew up, I knew a guy that worked for one of the big cities and loved fighting with different government agencies. Going to court was fun for him. He almost always won, and he enjoyed digging into the people who worked at that agency, and exposing them.

On his land, he had a guy come out with a dozer to build a one acre pond. He didn't get any permits, and when the different government agencies went after him, he claimed that the pond had always been there, and he was just cleaning it up after decades of neglect. Since areal photo's only went back so far, he claimed the pond was before then. They went to court, he won.

If I was in Florida, and I wanted to dig a pond, I would go to the local Ag Extension and ask for their advice in how to go about doing this. Once you have them on your side, it should be easy to get it done.

/ Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit #27  
I'll second the don't ask for permission advice.

I've built two ponds, both in NY state. The first was at our previous house. We had a low, wet spot bulldozed and backhoed out, about 40x60 and 8' deep, (1 day job). A neighbor complained to DEC, and they did an inspection. The officer said nice pond, better than the low lying wet spot that existed earlier and asked to see my permit. Back then the permit application was $100 and required DEC approval which was hard to get, (as told to me by my excavator), and would take weeks/months. The DEC officer said I have to issue a fine since you didn't get a permit. "How does $50 sound?" SOLD....

My second pond was on our new property in farmland, well outside the Adirondack park and DEC's oversite. 1/4+ acre this time, 14' deep, no permit required. To stock it with fish the local soil and water guy had to inspect the pond. "Nice pond, your fish will arrive next week."

/ Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit #28  
My, my, my. NRCS isn’t a regulatory agency. They exist to help farmers and landowners with technical assistance. And the state water quality agency has the authority to fine. May as well find out the law before breaking it, because they will find out.

When I had the local agricultural agent out to give advice on a planting, he warned me not to ditch any of the land because it violated the water act. How the f#%* am I supposed to grow anything around here if the field won’t drain? He says don’t worry about it the water will dissipate. It’s clay you $$#^^%.

So yeah I’d say be careful about who you ask, there are probably 100,000 laws in this country and no one abides by them all. Especially when it comes to water.

/ Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit #29  
Can't speak for Florida.

Here in Texas, I was informed that a Land Owner can dig a pond without a permit if it's less then 90 acres in size. You can also dam up a creek if it is not named on a map. Named creeks belong to the local Dam Authority for whatever big river has a dam on it. You have to deal with them if you want to dam up a named creek.

Back in California, where I grew up, I knew a guy that worked for one of the big cities and loved fighting with different government agencies. Going to court was fun for him. He almost always won, and he enjoyed digging into the people who worked at that agency, and exposing them.

On his land, he had a guy come out with a dozer to build a one acre pond. He didn't get any permits, and when the different government agencies went after him, he claimed that the pond had always been there, and he was just cleaning it up after decades of neglect. Since areal photo's only went back so far, he claimed the pond was before then. They went to court, he won.

If I was in Florida, and I wanted to dig a pond, I would go to the local Ag Extension and ask for their advice in how to go about doing this. Once you have them on your side, it should be easy to get it done.

In north Florida or local Ag rep (who holds a doctorate) feels the need to enforce laws that have nothing to do with his office. I would never invite him back. You don’t know people’s political leanings. First clue should have been the mask he put on (outside)

/ Anyone ever permit a 'Farm Pond' or borrow pit #30  
I’m a retired land surveyor and worked for a civil engineering company. In Illinois a pond or lake needed permits if it was a certain size and/or had something downstream from it. The one I worked on were larger, more of a small lake and our fees for the engineering and surveying got into thousands of dollars. They also required a regular inspection by an engineer and a short report written, I think yearly.

In your case I don’t think you would need any permit in this area which is pretty rural. There are all sorts of farm ponds around here. Of course where you live there might be all sorts of local or state regulations that kick in.