Anyone ever pulled a PTO shaft out of a1974 Ford 3000

/ Anyone ever pulled a PTO shaft out of a1974 Ford 3000 #1  

mx842

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301, PowerKing 2414, John Deere 316, Gravely ZT HD 52
I've been working on this tractor for a while now. Every time I fix one thing something else happens. While checking the fluid levels in the transmission and rear I found the transmission over filled and the rear was way down. I think the reason the tranny was over filled is that water somehow got in there because what was in there was milky looking. There are a few small leaks in the rear part, but the main leak was at the PTO shaft. I drained all the fluids and refilled the tranny then went to the back and started to pull the shaft. I put the pto lever in the locked position and removed the 4 bolts holding the housing in place. I was looking for it to be really tight but to my surprise it started right out with little or no effort. It will come out about 4 or 5 inches to where it just about clears the opening then stops. I tried yanking on it a little, but it is a solid clunk and will go no further. Anybody got any ideas what may be going on.

/ Anyone ever pulled a PTO shaft out of a1974 Ford 3000
Anybody?????

/ Anyone ever pulled a PTO shaft out of a1974 Ford 3000 #3  
I don't know exactly what you're talking about but will give it a try. Pull it apart as far as you can. Spray on a liberal application of penetrating oil onto the exposed surfaces hoping to get some into the area not moving. Work it in and out a few times. Let it sit overnight. Push it all the way together and then pull it rapidly apart. After two or three tries it may come. If you have something mushroomed inside things may be more serious. I'm unclear whether this is the PTO shaft to an implement or you're trying to disassemble the transmission in which case you may have overlooked a retainer.

I would post the question in Parts/Repairs, you'll probably get more responses.
I went back out there and looked at it again and found what is going on. As roadworthy said about the mushroom thing, the end of the shaft where slide coupler is had been rubbing on the end of the output shaft and has buggered up the end of the shaft to where it won't let the output shaft slide through the shift collar. It's so close in there it is going to be a real bear to get in there and clean the end of the shaft up.

You said you put the PTO lever in the "locked" position. Does this mean that you moved the lever towards the rear of the tractor? If so, the PTO shaft should slide right out.
It would if the end of the shaft wasn't buggered up.

/ Anyone ever pulled a PTO shaft out of a1974 Ford 3000 #7  
Sounds like it was used with a PTO shaft that was to long.

Sounds like it was used with a PTO shaft that was to long.
It does kinda look that way but if it is it's been that way from the start. Non of this stuff looks like it's ever been taken apart before.

/ Anyone ever pulled a PTO shaft out of a1974 Ford 3000 #9  
I experienced the same thing as you when I pulled I my PTO shaft from my Ford 3000. It's been a while but I believe I had to remove the top cover to finally get it out.

I experienced the same thing as you when I pulled I my PTO shaft from my Ford 3000. It's been a while but I believe I had to remove the top cover to finally get it out.
Even with the top cover off it was no way to get in there and file the ends of the splines where the coupler could slide off the shaft. The only way I see that it would come out is if I got in there and cut the shaft off. I then could pull the shaft out then remove the cut end out through the top or side cover. We decided to just leave it like it is now and keep an eye on it. So far it seems to be doing ok. I was worried a bearing or gear may have been to far gone because of the lack of oil in the case but it seems we lucked out on that.